Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2001, 08:11 AM

Default Renaming and/or deleting audio files

A few questions about renaming and deleting audio tracks in PTLE. I want to get a better handle on managing my audio files by giving them specific names (so I can confirm them on my hard drive before deleting the wrong stuff!).

1. Renaming audo & regions:
In my audio/regions list, some items are listed in BOLD letters, and these are able to be renamed. Double clicking on the BOLD name brings up the dialog box, which lets me rename the audio file on the hard drive, and/or the region.

The other items in the audio/regions list are not bold, and consequently I can only rename the region. While this would imply that the regions are listed, why don't I see the audio tracks that are used in these regions. I have tried the different viewing options (show name, path, et cetera), but I still can't edit the audio file name.

2. Deleting playlists:
If I choose to delete a playlist, that has a different audio "take", I want to be able to delete the audio file as well. I realize that I can create a new playlist with an alternate version using audio tracks that I don't want to delete. How do I safely locate and discard the correct audio files and regions?

3. When selecting "all unused" in the audio/regions list, it usually clues me into to what can be safely discarded, but I have tunes that I know have audio files I want to delete, but I can't locate them.

4. Save as session:
Will this copy ONLY the used audio files and regions I need into a new folder? If so, this would help me consolidate the files I need without risk of tossing something I don't want to lose.

If anyone has some sugesstions on a good way to manage audio files/regions, I'd like to know.
Thanks in advance,
Dave Patterson
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2001, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Renaming and/or deleting audio files

OK this is a test, so I do not spend much time explaining only to have the New DUC delete my reply... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 06-20-2001, 09:08 AM

Was there a point to your reply? Why reply without posting any useful information? If you have a problem with the DUC, why not contact Digi with it, instead of posting drivel like this?

Too bad the NewDUC didn't delete your reply, after all! Thanks for nothing....

re: OK this is a test, so I do not spend much time explaining only to have the New DUC delete my reply...
Old 06-20-2001, 09:21 AM

You Know what, I spent 20 minutes explaining this to you, and guess what--this DUC deleted it. I hit send and the reply I had for you was gone!!!!!!

After your stupid remarks, I will Not try to help you again.......... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 06-20-2001, 09:56 AM

Wow! I was going to explain this too when I had a chance as it's a fairly complex issue, but seeing how you beat up on guitates, who's having browser troubles, I think I'll pass...

guitates, Until you get this figured out, type your postings into a word processor document, then cut/paste into the DUC, that way you don't lose all your work if the DUC eat's it.

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: bassmac ]
Old 06-20-2001, 10:09 AM

Whoa, sorry about that! I stand corrected. I didn't realize you had tried to post something regarding this topic....all I read was what you posted, which seemed like a non-related flame towards the DUC. Sorry for my reply, but I didn't realize you were having a problem with your browser. I guess I've read too many anit-Digi posts here to have much patience with flamers, and I mistook your post as such. My fault, my error, my apology.

That said, I appreciate that you did try to post something. Again, sorry to offend you; I misunderstood. Please accept my apology, and I hope you get your browser thing worked out.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:13 AM

Bassmac,

From the reply I got from guitates, how was I supposed to know he was having browser troubles? Sorry, but the reply wasn't clear to me, and I assumed the wrong thing. I now see I was wrong in my reply and apologize for stepping on any toes.

re: Wow! I was going to explain this too when I had a chance as it's a fairly complex issue, but seeing how you beat up on guitates, who's having browser troubles, I think I'll pass...
Old 06-20-2001, 10:21 AM

Bassmac,

From the reply I got from guitates, how was I supposed to know he was having browser troubles? Sorry, but the reply wasn't clear to me, and I assumed the wrong thing. I now see I was wrong in my reply and apologize for stepping on any toes.

re: Wow! I was going to explain this too when I had a chance as it's a fairly complex issue, but seeing how you beat up on guitates, who's having browser troubles, I think I'll pass...
Old 06-20-2001, 11:31 AM

DAVIDP158:

1: Bold Text = Whole Files, Plain Text = Regions only (cut portions of whole files).

To rename the source file you will need to import the WHOLE FILE which each region references. (To do this quickly, hide PT and at the Finder, highlight all the audio files for the session and drag-and-drop them on an alias of PTLE, they will then appear in BOLD in the region list).
Next turn on display full path name in region list and sort by FILE NAME. Now with a little research, you can rename or delete the files you wish by selecting the BOLD links.

2. Its a little unclear what you want to achieve here but the same technique will help you isolate the files you're after I believe. Or just delete the playlist and then select UNUSED to determine the unnecessary takes.

3. If you have imported ALL the relevent WHOLE FILES into a session then select unused, it will allow you to safely DELETE or REMOVE the unnecessary audio. But remember if its needed by another session, you'll be screwing yourself later by deleting it!

4. Yes, you are right, if you clear the Unused audio from the region list FIRST! SAVE SESSION COPY IN... WITH AUDIO will copy all the necessary files to a new location together. Very convenient for weeding out old files. Be aware though that the modification dates will be changed to the current date/time (only usually an issue with backups) and you will then have two copies of each file.

Believe it or not, that's the short answer.

File organization in PT is one of the main gripes for new converts but is getting better each version. The best file organization starts at the beginning. Use subfolders and Finder color coding as needed to group audio takes. Name takes as soon as possible after recording. And use the CLEAR UNUSED EXCEPT WHOLE FILES to clean the region list rather than just CLEAR UNUSED. This will hopefully keep you on the straight and narrow. Good Luck.

-Polaris [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

whew... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2001, 11:41 AM

Polaris,

Thanks, thanks, and thanks again for taking time to post the detailed response. Very helpful stuff, and its all much clearer now. From other posts I've read, it seems that its good to have a clear naming convention early on. Files seem to grow rather fast, and can unintentionally end up on other drives, or in other folders. I think file management is pretty important with ProTools.

Regretfully, I'm sure that much of the same information was posted by guitates, but he was having problems with his browser, it didn't post, and the following miscommunications (my fault) ensued. I appreciate EVERYONE'S help on this forum, and the last thing I want to do is alienate anyone.

regards,
Dave Patterson