Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2016, 11:25 AM

Arrow Re: The ACA will now have a vote in the direction of Pro Tools

We don't need K Roche and SomeOtherGuy squabbling over grammar here. Please let it go. Focusing on grammar takes the focus away from the original intent of the thread.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:30 AM

Default Re: The ACA will now have a vote in the direction of Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
We don't need K Roche and SomeOtherGuy squabbling over grammar here. Please let it go. Focusing on grammar takes the focus away from the original intent of the thread.
Yes - the point here is for us users to discuss the possible business outcomes that may happen to Avid - acquisition/takeover/bust - all are options in my opinion. One thing I feel strongly about is that within the next quarter or two there are big changes coming to Avid - I don't see how there can't be. I am a pretty good investor and often look at Avid as I would a stock I am considering for my portfolio - and man does it fail badly.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:27 PM

Avid offers very mature products in a saturated professional market. I think the idea that they are likely to show much growth, especially in audio as opposed to video is a pipe dream. Probably Autodesk is the most legitimate comparison and you'll notice they are all subscription now. Investors who are ignorant of the professional media production market are likely to be disappointed but I don't think Avid is going anywhere.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Probably Autodesk is the most legitimate comparison and you'll notice they are all subscription now.
Really? Best I can tell, Autodesk is a market leader with very little serious competition. They also have 2.5bil in revenue and 9000 employees. Doesn't sound anything like Avid to me.

If Avid's goal is to remain the tool of choice for an ever decreasing group of niche professionals while simultaneously still getting beginners to buy based on a perception of being an "industry standard", I say they're right on track.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Avid offers very mature products in a saturated professional market. I think the idea that they are likely to show much growth, especially in audio as opposed to video is a pipe dream. Probably Autodesk is the most legitimate comparison and you'll notice they are all subscription now. Investors who are ignorant of the professional media production market are likely to be disappointed but I don't think Avid is going anywhere.
I think there is room for a ton of expansion if the focus turns to the "tier 3" market as was going to be the case. The overhaul of the MIDI/VI side to accommodate modern music production could be just the ticket.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-10-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
The phrase is "intents and purposes."

Thanks!
The Grammar Police.
Quote:
Nothing wrong with a little levity. No one is not "letting it go." Funny you interpret this as "squabbling." All of two posts! Lighten up, we're not discussing the nuclear codes here.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
I filled out a ballot. Seems like a hodge-podge of ideas not a whole lot of substance for me. I don't care about the cloud, or VR or Venue integration or sub$1k interfaces or integration with UAD etc. Waste of time IMO. Avid lost the plot quite some time ago.
Deck chairs on the Titanic...
THIS!

The list of things they are asking about is so detached from what studio professionals care about. It shows how little their marketing department actually knows about their market. It's outrageous.
This is what happens when the wrong people take over the company.

And it would be so easy, it's not that their users don't tell them what they want or don't want. Just read this forum and the ideascale guys and stop believing that you are innovative if you talk about buzzwords like the cloud or vr.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Humm, "Squabbling " seriously ? so the humor was lost on you, hey ? Oh well better stick to my day job of trying to make music I guess.

Now to be dead serious, unfortunately it is exactly like what @tention and bcwiz.... are saying . WHAT Avid needs to do is, ACTUALLY take a long hard self critical look at itself, let go of bull **** notions and head in the "clouds" gimmick features, and just come out with a god dam reasonably stable platform and fix the buggs in timely manner (ALMOST THREE YEARS TO FIX THE THE DRIVERS FOR THEIR OWN HD HARDWARE ??????? Really ??????? ) what total nonsense .

And having .dot release bug fixes tied with new features/enhancements, so that Avid can attempt to justify forcing customers to be on a current plan to get the fixes necessary to have a stable platform, not only makes the permanent license A JOKE but... is without a doubt nothing but a slap in face.

Why the hell isn't that question on " The Ballot" ????? How's that for original intent ????????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-11-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:57 PM

The ACA could definitely expedite this process, by allowing DUC members to vote, solely by logging in to their Avid account, instead of all that “extra sign-up stuff”!

Time is precious.

After all, most people expect to buy a product that works, right from the get-go.
Please make it as easy as possible for us to become your unpaid Beta-testers!

Crash Reporter
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=120
Isn't it what the Crash Reporter is supposed to do?
Shouldn't it report to Avid the Pro Tools Crashes as they happen so that Avid can fix them?
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor

Last edited by unkJE; 12-11-2016 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Crash Reporter ??
Old 12-11-2016, 05:40 PM

I just voted. I hope enough of us take the time to vote. Personally I have zero interest in VR and Cloud Collaboration.

MIDI enhancements and Melodyne integration are my main areas of interest.