Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2013, 08:31 PM

Default New User... Should I upgrade or wait???

I am a new Pro Tools user. I purchased Mbox 3 pro with Pro Tools 10 and a free upgrade to Pro Tools 11. I am also a Avid Media Composer user (about to upgrade to 7.0) I like everything I se so far.

I was excited to upgrade to 11.0 and am a little concerned as I'm reading topics on the forum so I figured I'd ask before executing the upgrade process.

It seems may people are saying you should leave 10.6 installed and co-install 11.1 to run both at the same time. Why would you want to do this? Is there a need for 2 different versions of the same DAW?

Will my plugins and VI's not work in 11.0?

Will Media Composer 7 play nicely with Pro Tools 11?

If I wait until the bugs are fixed will I loose my free upgrade?

On the downloads screen... are the Big Fish loops the same on version 10? Is Avid Virtual instruments the same as well?

Whew... I know this is a lot of questions but please help the new guy out if you can.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM

Default Re: New User... Should I upgrade or wait???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCasey View Post
Why would you want to do this?
To see a session run out of available voices before running out of processing power or available memory at a 32 sample buffer size. .
Quote:
Of course they will, once they've been released in the 64-bit AAX format.
Quote:
Why shouldn't it?
Quote:
No, but it's not bug fixes we're waiting on. It's 3rd party plugins that are the hang-up at the moment.
Quote:
On the downloads screen... are the Big Fish loops the same on version 10? Is Avid Virtual instruments the same as well?
Most likely, and the Avid VIs haven't changed other than being able to address more memory.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 PM

You have some version numbers mixed up. it is 10.3.6 and 11.0.1 not 10.6 and 11.1

10 is tweak-age/update of old code, 11 is ground up rewrite. 10 uses old plugin ideas, 11 uses a new idea. So they are the same but not the same.

no, you current VIs need to be updated to AAX2 64 bit to work on 11

I would hope so but it looks like ther are bug for 11 and 7 to play together

you 11 upgrade license should already be in you iLoc account so no you will not lose the upgrade

the loops are just audio files the VIs need to be updated, most of the AIR VIs are updated

So the reason to be able to co-install 10 and 11 on the same machine is to be able to use 11 as much as possible but jump back to 10 is some plug-in has not been updated for 11 yet

Safe bet for MC7 is to put it on it's own boot partition until the conflicts are sorted out

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I am a new Pro Tools user. I purchased Mbox 3 pro with Pro Tools 10 and a free upgrade to Pro Tools 11. I am also a Avid Media Composer user (about to upgrade to 7.0) I like everything I se so far.

I was excited to upgrade to 11.0 and am a little concerned as I'm reading topics on the forum so I figured I'd ask before executing the upgrade process.

It seems may people are saying you should leave 10.6 installed and co-install 11.1 to run both at the same time. Why would you want to do this? Is there a need for 2 different versions of the same DAW?

Whew... I know this is a lot of questions but please help the new guy out if you can.

Thanks,
Ryan
Honestly, I don't see a downside for upgrading. You will still have PT10 during the 3rd party plug-in transition.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-30-2013, 11:11 PM

I know what you are saying about the upgrade. You'll always have the license but there might be a time when Avid will say that it's been a year or whatever so the upgrade cost might be higher. I have no idea if such a timeline exist. I'll tell you though, I love recording in 11. It's solid as a rock and with that separate record and playback latency, it makes it way more fun to track. It's more inspiring to not worry about delay compensation and stuff like that. I'm just using the demo, 11.0.0 Bummed about rtas thing though but everyone will get on board. What held that up is Avid had to release 11 last month but the AAX 64 plug was constantly being upgraded by Avid so some companies will wait it out until September but some others my jump on board sooner. Go to http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/ for up to date news. They may have a list of those on board.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback....

I really have not purchased any 3rd party plugins yet. I just have what came with Pro Tools 10.35..... Eleven, Moogerfooger, Reverb One, Bomb Factory and Tel Ray. They are very current versions I suppose. I purchased the package about a month ago. How can I tell if these will work in 11?

I also have 2 vi's that I have added... Trillian and Steven Slate Drums. VI's should work ok correct?

However the biggest issue is Media Composer 7.0. I have read that there are issues with Media Composer 6.5. If I will jeopardize my Media Composer 7 I would prefer waiting until this is worked out to upgrade. Does anyone have any real time experience with this yet. I'd love to catch any issues before I install both upgrades.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 AM

As was stated, if a plugin, and that includes VI's, is written in AAX 64 bit it will run in P Tools 11. If not, it won't. Niether Trillian nor Slate have released the 64 bit versions of their plugins. You can still, however, run the 32 bit versions in 10.3.6 which is why Avid has made it possible for the two versions to co-exist on the same computer. I am sure that the same scenario applies to Media Composer. Either way, it's no skin off your nose to do the upgrade and experiment with 11 as you will have 10 available to do the real work that you need to get done at this point.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 AM

I understand. I was trying to avoid 2 installs to save memory on the drive if there was no need to do so.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 AM

Having more than one boot partition is always a safe way to go, it let you try upgrades or other software without risking you main working set-up

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I understand. I was trying to avoid 2 installs to save memory on the drive if there was no need to do so.

Thanks
Of course it's all relative to your budget but drive space, as opposed to "memory", is super cheap these days. No need, really, to make that any kind of consideration in planning for your workflow.