Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2011, 10:34 PM

Default Distortion Problems with 11r

My first post so hi to all!! I just got my new eleven rack after mbox took crap. After hooking up and updating my pro tools with the included disk I started playing around with it and sounds great till I added distortion. Power chords sound ok, ok used loosely, but playing single note runs on d,a and e string sound very bad, even crazy train sounds terrible, very blurred and muddied together , I have trying turning all volumes up an down, different cables and guitars to the point I gave up and on second day of owning it I played ps3 instead. I use maudio monitors that sounded great with mbox and GTR-3 plugin. Just sounds like I have it cranker to loud but it's not. An when recording my track volume is below 50%. Any thoughts? Thank you so much in advance. Just bummed to spend all that money and can't use it.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Distortion Problems with 11r

can you upload a sample of what you mean?

is the cab ON?

How do you have your monitors hooked up, with the Main Out XLRs?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Benoni thanks for quick reply. I will have to upload tomorrow but I do have hooked up by xlr and tried with headphone an it sounded ok but too low to tell. I paid 150 for each speaker. Friend said maybe speakers aren't good enough but 300 dollar m-audios should be ok rite? what is speaker break up I've seen on this forum? again thank you so much! And yes cabs are on I even tried switching them.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezane2000 View Post
Power chords sound ok, ok used loosely, but playing single note runs on d,a and e string sound very bad, even crazy train sounds terrible, very blurred and muddied together

Just sounds like I have it cranker to loud but it's not.(
What amp model are you using? Depending on the amp, check the master volume setting and put it at something reasonable, like 3 or 4. Then check the model's preamp gain.

If you're looking for a Crazy Train kind of tone, then you're looking for mostly tight preamp gain. Less master volume, more preamp, maybe tighten it up with the Tube Screamer model in front on lower drive.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:47 PM

I will try that thanks btw I'm looking to get a heavy crunch like pantera or slayer.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 PM

I love this place, Karl and Benoni thanks a lot, It was several thing, first the master had to be turned down (Karl) and second my speakers don't like the bass above 4 or 5, it starts to break up at 5. I hope I can return the favor one day. I will also keep an eye out to help others.

I can't thank you guys enough......

Anyone else having a issue with distortion breaking your speakers up here is your answer.

Check master and bass levels .