Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2011, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 and RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinTheSharkin View Post
Would it be more worth my money getting one of these new Sandy's (I know they are not much more expensive...), or going for something like an i7 950 which is clocked slightly slower and can support triple channel RAM?
SandyBridge is just getting started.
To quote Tomshardware.com:

"And now we have a new architecture from Intel, called Sandy Bridge. The last time Intel launched a processor design, it started with high-end Core i7-900-series chips and let the technology trickle down to the mainstream and entry-level derivatives. This time is different. Sandy Bridge is going to have to swim its way upstream, surfacing on the flagship LGA 2011 interface in the second half of this year for the real workstation-oriented aficionados."

Full article here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...500k,2833.html
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 and RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Got 12g i7 965 here. I haven't even come close to 2 gig in a project yet though. The playback engine (RTAS) will crap out long before the RAM at low latency.
+1. Same for me on my i7 930. OC gives me a slight RTAS boost with NI but nothing worth noting. Not sure how some who say they get good results out of NI RTAS compose. However, RTAS craps out for me on the Contemporary Jazz, Funk, and Easy Ballads I compose. I guess if you're drawing two and four note chords, you're fine. But when you're playing two hand piano chords, with Rhodes, B3 Organ, a String arrangement, Abbey Road full drumkit arrangement, Trilian Electric or Acoustic bass, and whatever else inspiration brings... good luck on getting to 3 gigs RAM (on an acceptable 256 buffer for a keyboard based performer/programmer) before RTAS craps out and totally kills the vibe. Nothing against PT9 as it still gets good use, but VST lets me get to 6 G's of RAM and sometimes more on 128 buffer without crapping out. NI even used Reaper on a promo video. Go figure