Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2011, 04:12 PM

Default Hello to all!! Need input on possible PT upgrade

My name is Richard. I bought PT 8 when it first came out. (the M-Audio version. Salesman said very easy to learn.) When I made the purchace I knew nothing about any recording except an old TEAC 4 track reel to reel in the basement back in 1982. Before I made my "PT 8" purchase, I brought my Lap top into GC and presented it to the main guy in the recording hardware dept. He booted it up... went through it for about a 1/2 hour! ( it's a Windows Vista machine) then he said, you will have no problems running PT 8 on this at all. I also bought Battery3, Kore 2 and a Profire 2626 with an M-Audio 61 and some michrophones and firewire outboard drive.. Well I got it together took 8 months to get my 1st track down. (VAIO not compatible with Pro Tools) Seems my Sony VAIO was not on the Digidesign compatibility page..... The "Salesman did not know this? Digidesign finally asked what I was running on and immeadiately told me my computer was absolutely a non compatible machine.
I proceeded to build an Intel Core i7 930 2.6 with 12 gigs of ramm and got bugs out and started to have fun.
Then life happened and my Mom who is 95 yrs old at present needed me full time and I dropped everything and did what was needed. She is doing better and I am now back to start to have some fun, low and behold..... Window7 and PT 9 have raised their heads and I already have an extra copy of Win 7. I am debating on wheather I should go ahead and up grade to PT 9 Win 7 64 bit ... If so, I would buy a new main drive and do a completely new clean install of all my software so I would have a working version if... well you know... Sorry for the long post and lack of info on specs for my system but it's not assembled at the moment otherwise I would do a PC wizzard for you all. I like to tinker,troubleshoot and I love to play guitar. Been at it for 43 years. I have the dollars now to do this... but probably will not in 2 months. My question is, all of you that are like me and build your own and have taken the plunge... Is the PT 9 upgrade with all the new plug in's worth it?

I really hope I have not taken too much of your time with a long post but if I don't ask.... I won't get any answers.
Thank everyone of you who see's what I am thinking, feeling and trying to do. I can't play live anymore because I have a very very very bad back and a very heavy Matchless 120 watt Superchief that I won't give up. Only 100 of them made LOL..... Love the tone.
Richard
Old 01-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Hello to all!! Need input on possible PT upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmaker View Post
Is the PT 9 upgrade with all the new plug in's worth it?
Yes

(I don't really know about new plugins, but ADC and the removal of the Digi hardware limitation are definitely worth it to me!)

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM

+1 Yes. Main lesson learned: Never listen to the guys a Guitar Center about recording equipment. (unless you are working with GCPro)

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 AM

Your safest plan would be to simply pull the old system drive out and pop in a new hard drive and start loading up software. Install Windows 7 and tweak it, then install PT9 and test. Once its working well, I would save a drive image right there. Then install other stuff and 3rd party plugins. If anything messes up at that point, you can restore from the drive image.. Win7 has a basic drive imaging feature, but Acronis True Image 11 is much better.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-20-2011, 05:34 PM

Thanks all for help. I have purchased PT 9, one new WD Caviar Black and I am reading up on everything I can find about downloading and installing PT 9 right now. Will start tomorrow after drivers, hardware drivers are installed and Win7 tweaks have been done. Then, Awaaaaaaaayyyy we goooo!!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmaker View Post
Then, Awaaaaaaaayyyy we goooo!!
Wow... a Jackie Gleason reference.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 PM

Sounds good Richard, I hope things stay well for you.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-21-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Sounds good Richard, I hope things stay well for you.
Almost pushing 10k posts Tom... you animal!

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub