Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2010, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Macintosh HD is not an audio playback volume

quoted from an email i just sent to a mate:

"I was originally trying to use the internal drive, but then also tried a couple of externals (Lacies) and got the same alerts.
How do i reset the internal drive using the peripherals dialog? Is that to do with allocating it as an R drive in the workspace within PT? Coz i have tried that and get similar errors about not being an audio volume.

but now i have a nice new shiney problem.

Having spent most of last night on the digidesign forums looking through threads with similar problems, I followed some of the advice given. this mainly consisted of:

repairing disc permissions,
checking format of drives (supposed to be mac OS extended which mine were anyway)
trashing any PT prefs
uninstall and reinstall PT

I got as far as trashing PT prefs when i got lots of nice new errors about my iLok (only just acquired yesterday) not existing anymore.
Having opted for a restart (thinking this would help) my G5 now seems to be in a coma.
I get the grey screen of doom (apple logo and tiny "clock filling up" icon forever) upon start up but it never gets any further. I can only imagine something vital got trashed when i trashed PT prefs (despite only having just got PT a week ago and not been able to even run it yet).

I remember a mac doctor once telling me of a way to open a mac (when it is in trouble) by holding certain keys upon startup to disable extensions and various other tricks, but they escape me now. but now i cannot even go and try and fix pro tools as i am somewhat locked out of the comp."
Old 03-13-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch morrison View Post
quoted from an email i just sent to a mate:
[...]
Having opted for a restart (thinking this would help) my G5 now seems to be in a coma.
I get the grey screen of doom (apple logo and tiny "clock filling up" icon forever) upon start up but it never gets any further. I can only imagine something vital got trashed when i trashed PT prefs (despite only having just got PT a week ago and not been able to even run it yet).
Feeling brave? Holding the Shift key while booting will ask Tiger to boot in safe mode, disabling all non-vital extensions (that includes questionable stuff like pace interlok, digidesign's drivers, and whatever else you have just installed). Among other things booting in safe mode will check and try to repair errors on the system drive. Then you simply reboot.

As the G5 is being phased out, I assume vendors are getting a bit lax about supporting it. On the other hand, it takes one wrong bit somewhere in the computer's RAM to trash a whole system and ruin your week ahead. (had this happen to me a while back). If RAM is the problem, booting from your system drive is a gamble.

Still, if you want to approach this from software, try rebooting while holding shift. Then uninstall whatever you can from your newly installed things and work through the problems one by one.

If you want to be extra careful, boot from the OSX install disc, run Disk Utility from there and check your system drive for errors. If you want more reassurance, there's a RAM test you can run.

If you want to get your hands dirty check that your box is clean inside, and that your ram modules are put tightly in their places (mind the static!). Then check the drives' cabling. It may sound as something that won't help, but the number times this has worked is astonishing.

To reset the PRAM in case you need to - here's Apple's KB. If you think of trying different RAM modules - read this.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:24 AM

Patch Morrison:I just read your posts and noticed you're running 10.4.11 with 7.4... You may want to Read This
Scroll down a little bit and read the compatibility alerts running tiger 10.4.11.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:12 AM

ah cheers for that. I was led to believe that I could run 7.4 (m-powered) on 10.4.11 without problems but of course there's gonna be issues..
Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 PM

well, I have since uninstalled and reinstalled PT. now i get a msg saying "install failed please try again", but with no explanation as to how/why it failed.

I now get this alert.

The security one has stopped popping up as I clicked "fixed" after first seeing it.

Now I have no idea whether this alert (the top one) is a result of the incomplete PT install or is perhaps causing it?

I used the OS 10.4.11 combo update prior to reinstalling.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Thing is, I can launch pro tools despite the apparent install fail, but still cannot re allocate my external drives as audio volumes.

I'm sure the incomplete install has something to do with it but I cannot figure it out.

any ideas?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:27 AM

Hi, does anyone know if PT M-Powered 7 is compatible to OSX 10.5.5 (mac book pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5GHz )? cause I had the same problem (done the reformatting and permit thing... ) and I've checked the compatibility list, however PT M-Powered 7.0 is not in the list. Thought maybe I should check if M-Powered 7 goes with OSX 10.5.5 .