Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Question Help Importing External Sequencer Data into PTs

Ok im gonna go batty if i dont figure this out, because its such a simple request that the answer cant be that hard!

Very simply...I've got an M3...I have songs recorded to the M3 in the Sequencer, ranging anywhere from 4 program combination's to a full 16 program combination.

I'd like to take these recorded songs from the M3's sequencer and Import it onto PT's as MIDI files so that i can edit them, specifically id like to split up the drum track(s) so that i have Kick,Snare,Hats etc all on their own tracks for editing and mixing. (i have PTs LE8 with an Mbox 2 mini).

First please tell me the best way to export this midi info from the M3 to PT's.

Secondly, id like to be able to hear the MIDI data as it was recorded on the M3 sequencer. Yes i can hear you all screaming now, 'MIDI ISNT SOUND'...i know lol...i just want to have the midi information trigger the appropriate sound program in the M3, so that it plays back the same way it was recorded on the M3.

So in short, how can i have the Imported MIDI in PTs trigger the correct sound in the M3...so that i can listen to it via the Main Outputs of the M3.

I have tried many ways to do this, but frankly PT's doesnt seem to play nice with the M3. I have a USB connecting from the M3 into the iMac that im running PT's on. Ive tried importing the midi data into pt's, then setting up the output of the Midi track 1 to Channel 1....so that it will trigger PROGRAM 1 on the M3...but when i hit play on PT's, it makes the M3 go haywire. All the recorded programs on the sequenced song on the M3 change...which screws up the sound...so i dont know WHAT info PT's is sending to the M3, but its F***ing it up big time!

So please, i beg of you, feel free to talk in total elementary language to me, and explain to me how to first import the MIDI information the BEST way...and Second, how to set up PT's and the M3 so that when i hit play on PT's...the imported midi data triggers the M3 to give me the right sound without having the M3 go batty on me. Thank you!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Help Importing External Sequencer Data into PTs

like old day with pt 2 i am make song on mc 50 and import manually - track by track -make all sysx also printed - pls try- dont forget rec mode trigger by m3
Old 12-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Banjar how do you import the tracks form the mc50 into Pro Tools?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:04 AM

import manually mean you connected midi out any sequencer to midi in pt and play back and record to pt but on wait midi mode rec - you can record track by track or one track and than split - sysex automatic will records on midi track - all midi data also recorded
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 PM

ok only 1 problem....i have the m-box mini...so no midi connections...will a USB cord going into the computer work the same way thou?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 PM

I had a similar situation in the past with a different keyboard workstation and a different software sequencer. I figured out I had to put the workstation in MULTI mode (in the MIDI RECEIVE menu) and, within that same menu of options, assign the appropriate bank to each midi channel. For example, if I needed midi channel 1 to be a piano patch which was program 12 in bank C, I had to set the program for channel 1 to a patch that was in bank C. What I found was that my keyboard could interpret program changes from the external sequencer, but not a bank change. Before I figured this out I was having organ parts being played with horn sounds, piano parts being played with drum sounds, etc. Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to refer to your M3 manual, I'm sure there's a section which covers integration with an external sequencer. Internally, there's typically a lot of proprietary stuff happening when a workstation plays itself. Having an external device do the playing is not necessarily a simple matter. Also, be sure to post this same question on a M3 forum if you haven't already. I think the odds of getting a spot-on answer are better there than here. Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL View Post
I had a similar situation in the past with a different keyboard workstation and a different software sequencer. I figured out I had to put the workstation in MULTI mode (in the MIDI RECEIVE menu) and, within that same menu of options, assign the appropriate bank to each midi channel. For example, if I needed midi channel 1 to be a piano patch which was program 12 in bank C, I had to set the program for channel 1 to a patch that was in bank C. What I found was that my keyboard could interpret program changes from the external sequencer, but not a bank change. Before I figured this out I was having organ parts being played with horn sounds, piano parts being played with drum sounds, etc. Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to refer to your M3 manual, I'm sure there's a section which covers integration with an external sequencer. Internally, there's typically a lot of proprietary stuff happening when a workstation plays itself. Having an external device do the playing is not necessarily a simple matter. Also, be sure to post this same question on a M3 forum if you haven't already. I think the odds of getting a spot-on answer are better there than here. Good Luck!
I actually was finally able to get it to work just a couple days ago...putting together a few suggestions as well as working on it myself. First I didnt know that MIDI messages got things such as Program Changes until a couple weeks ago, which helped a lot, at least it explained why things were changing. Then I figured out that the SMF that were being imported must have been importing those program changes, which helped answer HOW they were getting there lol.

So the next thing I ended up trying (at the suggestion of Digidesigns technical help via email believe it or not...) was to play the sequencer...and have MIDI tracks in PTs set up to record each individual MIDI track...not program. So say i had 6 programs in the M3...but 2 were going to MIDI track 1, 2 were going to MIDI track 2, and 2 were goings to MIDI track 3, id make 3 MIDI tracks...and assign their OUTPUTS to the appropriate MIDI tracks (1,2 and 3). Then set one into record mode and hit play on the sequencer. Now at first nothing went thru...so they helped me out again teling me i needed to set the midi tracks to External...which i knew how to do...so after doing that...PT's picked up on the midi info and recorded it...FINALLY! So Digi's support was pretty damn slow and their first couple emails were rather short and were almost trying to brush me off, but since i kept pestering them they finally were able to give me a letter back longer than 1 sentence and help me fix the problem.

Next im gonna try to see if i can record multiple MIDI tracks at once...tried it earlier but it kept wanting to record ALL the midi info from EVERY track on the M3 to each track on PTs....i think i just have to set the INPUT of the MIDI tracks to the specific midi tracks i want and i should be ok.

Now if i could just get my Mbox MINI to stop giving me this annoying BUZZ/HUM whenever i plug the M3 into it...i changed from TS plugs to Mogami TRS plugs...still got the buzz....so im guessing it has something to do with the ground? I dunno...its just annoying, especially when it RECORDS that noise *sigh*. Oh well, from one problem arises another, maybe ill resolve this one in under 5 months!

Happy new year all!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:31 PM

You can record multiple midi tracks either way PT > to your M3 or vice versa.

I don't have an M3, but use the Yamaha Motif XS8. I'm assuming there's a lot of similarities. On the Motif, I can go into SONG mode (that would be your main sequencer I expect, on the M3). There, I can record up to 16 tracks on the Motif. These are recorded AS MIDI data. Each track will output to its own MIDI channel. I'm assuming you can do exactly the same on the M3 (regardless of what unique terms they might use on their switches).

If I want to record those 16 tracks as MIDI tracks in PT, then I first need to set up 16 MIDI tracks in PT, and then assign each tracks's INPUT to the appropriate MIDI channel. Arm record, hit play and you should be able to record it all.

Likewise, if I want to record 16 tracks of MIDI into the XS, I have to first tell the XS to output each MIDI track to the appropriate channel. Also, you can add in program info on each track so that the correct voice is called up on the M3. OR, you can pre-select your voices on the M3 for each track in your sequencer, but be sure to switch OFF the M3's ability to receive program change data. On the Motif, I go to the MIDI edit screen and simply turn off the Program change option. That way any voice change commands that might be embedded in a MIDI track on PT will be ignored, and the Motif will only play the voice I selected for each track.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillsi3 View Post

Now if i could just get my Mbox MINI to stop giving me this annoying BUZZ/HUM whenever i plug the M3 into it...i changed from TS plugs to Mogami TRS plugs...still got the buzz....so im guessing it has something to do with the ground? I dunno...its just annoying, especially when it RECORDS that noise *sigh*. Oh well, from one problem arises another, maybe ill resolve this one in under 5 months!

Happy new year all!
I have similar noise issues with my MBox 2 mini. There is a known issue with this that has been discussed here in the past. There's some info on it on the DIGIdesign webpage as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillsi3 View Post
specifically id like to split up the drum track(s) so that i have Kick,Snare,Hats etc all on their own tracks for editing and mixing. (i have PTs LE8 with an Mbox 2 mini).
I know on my Yahama Motif XS8, there's an option to split a drum track into separate tracks. I'd be surprised if the M3 did not have a similar option in its sequencer mode.