Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 11:49 AM

Default DSP Processors for Plug-Ins!

Hi... my PC gets very slow after using many plug-ins.. but I didn't remember having any problems with plug-ins when I was using Audition. I have just remembered Audition had an option where u could just freeze or lock plug-in effects to each rack so it wouldn't take up CPU power.

Does Pro-tools have that same feature? Or when can I do to increas CPU power.. i'm already running on a Win XP.. 3.06 ghz, 768 gb ram.

Please help.. thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Lock/Freeze Effects Rack

Quote:
Does Pro-tools have that same feature?
No.

Many plugins available for Pro Tools have both RTAS and AS versions. To "freeze" plugins in protools, you need to process the audio region(s) with the AS version of the plugin.

Some plugins available for PT don't have audiosuite versions, so you would have to "print" the output by either soloing the track and bouncing, or by routing the output of the track to another record enabled track.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-30-2006, 02:44 PM

Right, and:
1. Process on a duplicate playlist for each plug so you can easily get back to any previous state for further tweaks.
2. Save your plug-in settings to the session folder at process time, named after the track, so you'e sure you're tweaking the settings you processed with.
3. Note whether the track has volume automation, and if so, use a prefade send at 0 dB and mute the track while printing or bouncing. If no vol automation, type the current vol level into the track notes and the reset the level to 0 dB while printing or bouncing.
4. If you bounce, remember that you can check the Import after bouncing box, and use Spot mode to drop the file in the right place with sample accuracy.

Especially useful when you decide you want different settings for just certain places and leave the rest the way you had it originally.

Besides the fact that some plugs don't have AS versions, if a plug uses automated parameters, it has to be bounced or printed. I print to an adjacent track, then dup playlist, then bring the first playlist into the original track, then delete the track I printed to (or use it for printing the next plug, and so on). That assures I don't accidentally move or delete automation by dragging a new file into place. Which I've done too many times.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 03-31-2006, 09:11 PM

OHH NO!! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

Gosh, if Pro-tools had half the features Audition has.. it would be flawless! Why don't they consider these features? Is there a place where users can foward their thoughts & suggestions?

But yeah, thanks for the tip.. but using Audiosuite on region won't help me much, specially when I was so many of them...

Anything I can purchase/ do to my PC to improve CPU power for plug-ins?

Thank You.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:43 PM

Why don't you just use Audition?

Here's the Feature Request Form

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-01-2006, 07:06 AM

Good news for ya - large numbers of regions aren't a problem. Select them all and process them all at once. You can choose to have it either make one consolidated file (per track), or make each region an individual file. It's neither difficult nor time consuming, and it leaves you full flexibility to change anything anytime. It's a solid, reliable, fully professional implementation.

I don't know how Audition "freezes" plug-ins, but it must effectively do the same thing automatically. That has its advantages, but so does the AS method. The former is more convenient for one particular task - freeing up CPU power while mixing. The latter opens up whole new vistas of creative possibilities for post production at the expense of making it a little less convenient for freeing up CPU power. You can quickly AS process certain sections with an effect like flanging or Lo-Fi much more quickly and easily than acheiving the same result by automating intanciated plug-ins. It also effectively removes the limit on the number of plugs per track. If you froze 5 plugs on one track and then decided you needed a 6th, you'd have to process the first one, at least, anyway. So AS processing is a boon in its own right.

Still, it would be nice to have the additional option of freezing them. Thanks for requesting it to Digi.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-01-2006, 01:58 PM

I have to use Pro-tools now because after graduating H.S , myself, and a few of my friends do different states, but we still do music togetha, and they've forced me to get a PT set-up cuz thaz wha they now use. And that is how we work on music now.

Thanks for the form tho'.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:07 PM

after applying effects with AS... am I able to undo the effect i've added after closing PT?

they Audition does it is, after adding live effects on a track, the freeze feature locks the track up, so its as if all the region on the track has been processed, as if you've used Audio Suite, but you can den un-freeze it and change plug-in setting as many times you want.

If you are able to undo these AS plug-ins.. you're considering will definataly be of good use.
Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-01-2006, 02:08 PM

oh... and am i able to preview them all with the effect at the same time?
well, let me go try it now.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:48 PM

I've been doing a little research and I owuld like to know how come no one has mentioned puchassing DSP processor cards, like the MIX Farm, HD process, and HD Accell.

Can those be used with LE systems?