Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Please help! File conversion question

Hi

This is a pretty specialized question and as far as i know there is only one solution.

I used to use pro tools 6 (mix plus) on os9 (on a G4) , I recorded many files as SD2 files onto a firewire drive.

So fast forward 3 years to now, I have gotten rid of my g4 an mix plus, etc and now am running pro tools hd on a mac pro with osx.

When i go to plug in my old drive from my g4 (os9) with the sd2 files on it it wont show up in osx...well....i went to a friends who had a g4 on os9, and copied all those old sd2 files and sessions to a new drive that would be recognized in os9 and osx.

so now i got all those old sessions showing up on my mac pro with osx desktop, Great! well- not really. Somehow all these old sd2 files are not recognized as audio files, in fact they come up as documents and will not be recognized as audio in any program...

i contacted digi, and they said there is no known solution and these are just outdated files. the catch is only the sd2 files wont work, had these been wav or aiff, i would not be having any problem now.

so this is the way it is - the only way to fix this and recover my old precious sessions is to convert all these sd2 files in os9 (which still recognizes theses sd2 files) to wav or aif, THEN transfer the converted files to osx.

I guess i need something like barbabatch (for os9) to do this...

My question is . Is there ANY place i can take my drive - any company- any service anything that i can pay to 'recover ' these files by converting them to wav in osx so i can use them, i just dont know where to begin.....

THANKS
Old 10-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Please help! File conversion question

I frequently import and convert SD2 files to PT 7.4 session.

Sound like your resource forks got stripped, I don't know how to repair that.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Please help! File conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathman View Post
Hi

This is a pretty specialized question and as far as i know there is only one solution.

I used to use pro tools 6 (mix plus) on os9 (on a G4) , I recorded many files as SD2 files onto a firewire drive.

So fast forward 3 years to now, I have gotten rid of my g4 an mix plus, etc and now am running pro tools hd on a mac pro with osx.

When i go to plug in my old drive from my g4 (os9) with the sd2 files on it it wont show up in osx...well....i went to a friends who had a g4 on os9, and copied all those old sd2 files and sessions to a new drive that would be recognized in os9 and osx.

Open on TDM.
File->Save Session Copy In
Check 'All Audio Files' box
Select 'WAV'
Point to new location

Repeat.

so now i got all those old sessions showing up on my mac pro with osx desktop, Great! well- not really. Somehow all these old sd2 files are not recognized as audio files, in fact they come up as documents and will not be recognized as audio in any program...

i contacted digi, and they said there is no known solution and these are just outdated files. the catch is only the sd2 files wont work, had these been wav or aiff, i would not be having any problem now.

so this is the way it is - the only way to fix this and recover my old precious sessions is to convert all these sd2 files in os9 (which still recognizes theses sd2 files) to wav or aif, THEN transfer the converted files to osx.

I guess i need something like barbabatch (for os9) to do this...

My question is . Is there ANY place i can take my drive - any company- any service anything that i can pay to 'recover ' these files by converting them to wav in osx so i can use them, i just dont know where to begin.....

THANKS