Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Melodyne or Autotune?

Editor is both a plugin and stand alone. Sessions that have the old plugin on them can be converted but you can't go back once you do.

Studio hasn't been "upgraded" yet.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 PM

I use both all the time. AutoTune usually works best with obvious tuning scenarios, like when you don't mind hearing AutoTune.

Melodyne has much better formant correction than AT and works better for creating artificial harmony lines or when transparency is an issue.

I do as others have said and print back Melodyne to a new track, then mute what doesn't need tuning.
Same with AT, print it to a new tracks then mute sections where it isn't needed, rather than automate the plugin.

System 1:
PT 10.3.4, 003 Rack, PreSonus DigMax LT
MacPro Quad Xeon 3.0GHz, 16 gigs RAM, Mac OS 10.7.5 Lion
OWC Mercury Extreme SSD system drive
3 TB WD drives, (a ton of) External drives, yada yada My System is cool too, blah blah
Never had an installation problem, incompatibility issue, crash, bug, slowdown, etc.
www.CornerHouseStudio.com
Old 03-28-2010, 02:24 PM

Well I notice I am entitled to a free upgrade to Melodyne essential.
Gave it a spin but when I try and add it as a plugin it doesn't seem to work, I guess cos I am on 10.3 and it requires 10.4

Mind you it works in standalone mode but I spent a little time with it and gave up. I'm only after tuning things a tad and having used autotune in the past I know it would do the task.

So my question is: I think I need Autotune 3 or 4 to run on my mix system. Do these versions use ilok? Nobody seems to be selling licenses. How would I go about getting an old version?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:42 PM

I always hated pitch correction plug-ins.
Recently I finished a huge product and a few tracks needed minor pitch correction after editing...

A friend used Melodyne Essential on 12 singers. I just did not like the result on segments of 2 tracks (singers).

So, compared to what I had heard done up to Autotune 4, I still prefer this Melodyne Essential.

I used to pick an old tuner at Mix Systems days: pitch doctor or doctor pitch. It took a lot of time to automate it and so, but sounded much better than Autotune 3 and 4.

I am curious about Autotune Evo. I had Melodyne Essential at PT HD 7.3. It came as part of that bundle.

May I use it along with PT 8 HD too? :)

Thanks for any tips and opinions concerning AT Evo x Melodyne.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:00 PM

In Melodyne if there are notes you don't want to tune, just delete them in the Melodyne window and it will play the notes untuned (it plays the underlying audio track, even if it is not in the Melodyne window).

I usually use 40- 60% on phrases that seem to need it and then manually drag notes that are actual mistakes.

Singers can use a tuned Melodyne track as a reality check if they are not sure they were in tune, then go back and use the tuned and corrected track as a guide.

Also with the new Editor (which I have not upgraded to) you can export as MIDI which can be helpful if you want to notate a melody line. Don't remember if you can do this out of Autotune or Waves Tune...
Old 03-28-2010, 04:52 PM

When I delete notes out of Melodyne (plugin, v1.042) the words/phrases are muted (gone). They're still on the track in PT, but waveforms will pass by and I won't hear anything (unless I bypass Melodyne). If I print back after muting notes, there are holes where I deleted in Melodyne. Hope that made sense. Basically, no it doesn't work like that over here.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
When I delete notes out of Melodyne (plugin, v1.042) the words/phrases are muted (gone). They're still on the track in PT, but waveforms will pass by and I won't hear anything (unless I bypass Melodyne). If I print back after muting notes, there are holes where I deleted in Melodyne. Hope that made sense. Basically, no it doesn't work like that over here.
Know what you mean!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:20 AM

A Melodyne vs Autotune debate is almost as lame as an HD vs LE debate.

The real answer is : try them both and decide for yourself.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:15 AM

I tend to prefer/use autotune as an effect, and melodyne as a tool.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
A Melodyne vs Autotune debate is almost as lame as an HD vs LE debate.

The real answer is : try them both and decide for yourself.
Yeah but my question isn't so much which is better, more which one will work best on PT 6.4 on a mix system. It seems to me AT4 is the way to go. Now if only I could figure out how to get it?