Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2008, 06:53 PM

Default Working in session and PT just closes!!!

I have noticed a few times that I will be working in a PT session 7.4cs2 HD3 Mac Pro 10.4.8,9,10, and 11, doing nothing in particular when all of a sudden PT just closes completely, no crash, no warning, no SPOD, nothing! What is the story here? The only thing I can think of is that I have some virtual instruments instantiated like the Rob Papen stuff ie. Blue, Albino, or Predator. I really wish Digi would get their act together with midi and the like. PT seems to be very finicky about software instruments in general. I never have these issues with Logic and yet I want to use the PT elastic audio features. Anyone have any ideas? All my versions of plugs are the latest, have deleted all prefs etc.. ran the whole troubleshooting gamut and this stuff still happens...Very frustrating!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Working in session and PT just closes!!!

Well, if you're convinced that the VI's are causing the problem, you might want to run them in AU within a shell on a second machine, where they'll either be more stable, or at least not bring down your PT session.

Have you checked to see if a crash log has been generated?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
I have noticed a few times that I will be working in a PT session 7.4cs2 HD3 Mac Pro 10.4.8,9,10, and 11, doing nothing in particular when all of a sudden PT just closes completely, no crash, no warning, no SPOD, nothing! What is the story here? The only thing I can think of is that I have some virtual instruments instantiated like the Rob Papen stuff ie. Blue, Albino, or Predator. I really wish Digi would get their act together with midi and the like. PT seems to be very finicky about software instruments in general. I never have these issues with Logic and yet I want to use the PT elastic audio features. Anyone have any ideas? All my versions of plugs are the latest, have deleted all prefs etc.. ran the whole troubleshooting gamut and this stuff still happens...Very frustrating!
Hi,

I am running PT every day with loads of various VI's and i don't get quits!!!! So it's NOT ">Digi who need to get their act together<".

If you're sessions are crashing then there's a cause! you need to start looking at which VI is the cause as i can almost guarantee you one of them will be causing the crash and NOT PT itself.

Crashing in 10.4.8,9,10 & 11? seems you've has some buggy VI in your plugs folder for quite some time. i'm sure you could pin point it down to one VI??

Try looking in Mack HD/Users/Your name/Library/logs/crash reporter/Pro tools HD and see if there's a crash log for the time your session crashed. there's usualy a thread that causes the crash and it usualy tells you which VI was the culprit.

Always make sure you have the most up to date version of the VI or make sure your version matches the version of PT you are using (there's no point using the latest version of a plugin if your version of PT is 2 years old etc!) so make sure all software is matched.

And for the record i am using 3 x Rob Papen VI's albino 2/3 and blue

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 AM

I have the same problem and from what I can tell it is Ivory and not Native instruments (for a change). Which VIs are you using in sessions that exhibit this problem?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:15 AM

There is absolutely no crash log. As I stated, PT didn't crash, it just closed out completely. It has to be one of the Rob Papen plugns. I too have NI and Ivory but not in this session.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:24 AM

I had this exact same thing happen to me last week in 7.4 cs2. I have since reverted back to CS1.

This was in a very simple session. I was using 1 instance of Stylus RMX. I have never seen this happen in the 15 years that I have been using ProTools. Specifically that the app just disappeared without any crash etc.

-Mike
Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Guitar Rig also did that.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 PM

I'm trying to run NI, BFD 2, Spectrasonics etc on 7.3.1cs5 on 10.4.10 and it's just the buggiest thing ever...it even crashed just now when I hit "about protools" to get the cs number...with no crash log...it's a joke for anything other than audio editing and mixing audio....forget about using VI with protools. Let's put pressure on Apple to make Logic rewire slave compatible so we can run all that in the background with protools...
Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
There is absolutely no crash log. As I stated, PT didn't crash, it just closed out completely. It has to be one of the Rob Papen plugns. I too have NI and Ivory but not in this session.
Hi,

The plugin does NOT have to be in the session to cause quits!!! every time you load PT ALL plugins are loaded into the cache ready for use. once you have found the culprit, your sessions should run trouble free 99% of the time. i run for months without unexpected quits, occasionally i will get a quit from a plugin, but i will troubleshoot it and if it can't be fixed i don't use it any more!!

No crash? what about a console log? in the same loaction as the crash reporter!!

I am using these VI's in this screen shot ...... http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ee/RTASVIS.jpg

I'm not saying there aren't buggy VI's just that over the years i've learned to avoid them!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to run NI, BFD 2, Spectrasonics etc on 7.3.1cs5 on 10.4.10 and it's just the buggiest thing ever...it even crashed just now when I hit "about protools" to get the cs number...with no crash log...it's a joke for anything other than audio editing and mixing audio....forget about using VI with protools. Let's put pressure on Apple to make Logic rewire slave compatible so we can run all that in the background with protools...
It's pathetic isn't it? Think how scary powerful PT would be if it were stable with VI's! Are your listening Digi? Do you realize how buggy PT is with VI's? Can we work on this? I love PT for it's audio and editing capabilities, but it appears I will still have to use Logic to sequence. I really hope you are listening Digi. How about a response? Are you doing anything about these issues? I had it happen again last night where PT just closed for no apparent reason. Had some Rob Papen synths instantiated. No crash log, no log at all. This is unacceptable for the "king" of DAWs!