Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2024, 01:50 PM

Default Marker Rulers and TimeCode Memory Locations

I've been futzing around with the new Marker Rulers since they came out, and have encountered a stumbling block that I can't seem to get around or find a solution for in the docs. Anyone have any ideas? I suspect it requires a change in the Memory Locations implementation.

I want to populate a Marker Ruler with timecode-based markers. Since the current (and historical) basis for markers has always been as Memory Locations based in either Absolute or Bar|Beats, when I change the Timecode in my session, the Markers won't conform to any TC-based location that I have placed them at (assuming they were based on Absolute timebase).

As for why I want to do this... I score film, TV, ads. I write each cue in its own PT session, but run the video outside of PT (in NLA's VideoSync) because it is way easier to manage multiple cuts/cut-changes without my music timeline getting wrecked with each new one. But if I need to change the tempo in a cue (especially from the beginning or near-beginning of a session), it changes the relationship of the Bars|Beats relative to the Timecode, and I sometimes use the "Set Timecode Position" command to set the music-for-the-cue start at the new correct TC. (ie - the music stays the same for Bars|Beats), but now that start point aligns to a new TC number. That's fine in almost all regards. Used it for years... except that since December I had started making TC-referenced Markers (for 2-pops, start of scene, etc) on a new Marker Ruler and when I re-Set Timecode Position, the Markers move from where I intended them to be, and I have to re-place them again.

Here's a video example with my blank starting template, where I determine that the music needs to begin right at the video start (01:00:00:00) but I need to change the BPM from my template default of 120 to 150 to work for this cue. I want 2 bars of count-off, so I make the tempo change 2 bars before (3|1) the music start (Bar 5|1). Now you'll notice that the Timecode at 5|1 has changed - it's no longer (01:00:00:00). No problem. I use the Set Timecode Position at 5|1 to change the TC to be the desired 01:00:00:00. I can continue, except that now my 2-beep (indicating) marker and Video Start marker have now shifted, and no longer line up with the correct timecode locations - because Absolute time is not Timecode.

Video Example on Vimeo

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 02-21-2024, 03:58 AM
Avid

Default Re: Marker Rulers and TimeCode Memory Locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I've been futzing around with the new Marker Rulers since they came out, and have encountered a stumbling block that I can't seem to get around or find a solution for in the docs. Anyone have any ideas? I suspect it requires a change in the Memory Locations implementation.

I want to populate a Marker Ruler with timecode-based markers. Since the current (and historical) basis for markers has always been as Memory Locations based in either Absolute or Bar|Beats, when I change the Timecode in my session, the Markers won't conform to any TC-based location that I have placed them at (assuming they were based on Absolute timebase).

As for why I want to do this... I score film, TV, ads. I write each cue in its own PT session, but run the video outside of PT (in NLA's VideoSync) because it is way easier to manage multiple cuts/cut-changes without my music timeline getting wrecked with each new one. But if I need to change the tempo in a cue (especially from the beginning or near-beginning of a session), it changes the relationship of the Bars|Beats relative to the Timecode, and I sometimes use the "Set Timecode Position" command to set the music-for-the-cue start at the new correct TC. (ie - the music stays the same for Bars|Beats), but now that start point aligns to a new TC number. That's fine in almost all regards. Used it for years... except that since December I had started making TC-referenced Markers (for 2-pops, start of scene, etc) on a new Marker Ruler and when I re-Set Timecode Position, the Markers move from where I intended them to be, and I have to re-place them again.

Here's a video example with my blank starting template, where I determine that the music needs to begin right at the video start (01:00:00:00) but I need to change the BPM from my template default of 120 to 150 to work for this cue. I want 2 bars of count-off, so I make the tempo change 2 bars before (3|1) the music start (Bar 5|1). Now you'll notice that the Timecode at 5|1 has changed - it's no longer (01:00:00:00). No problem. I use the Set Timecode Position at 5|1 to change the TC to be the desired 01:00:00:00. I can continue, except that now my 2-beep (indicating) marker and Video Start marker have now shifted, and no longer line up with the correct timecode locations - because Absolute time is not Timecode.

Video Example on Vimeo
Let me check on this and get back to you. Thanks!

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 02-22-2024, 04:09 AM
Avid

Hi Kerry,

I've started a support case for your so you can be assisted with this better. You'll be contacted via Email under Case number 04761378.

Thanks!

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 02-22-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tope d View Post
Hi Kerry,

I've started a support case for your so you can be assisted with this better. You'll be contacted via Email under Case number 04761378.

Thanks!
Thanks Tope! I was just hoping to get enough info to determine if I should treat it as a Support issue, or a Feature Request. I'll keep an eye out for the email.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro