Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2024, 12:28 PM

Default MIDI instrument to Audio, pulling hair out.

Hi... I think my attachment will better explain my predicament. I've recorded some MIDI drum tracks and I'm simply wanting to export a .wav, but when I try creating a new Stereo Audio track and dragging this midi track onto it, it simply will not work.. I'm assuming it has something to do with my input/output? It plays back to my eDrums (headphones) and sounds fabulous... but how do I get this converted over to stereo audio?

Any help appreciated.

T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 2.21.39 PM.jpg (38.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-03-2024, 01:37 PM

Default Re: MIDI instrument to Audio, pulling hair out.

Uh? MIDI is digital instructions to play notes. MIDI produces no sound itself... what are those notes? A piano? guitar? drum? What drum kit? Using what MIDI notes to drum mapping? Pro Tools does not know anything besides some notes on/off instructions. It cannot do any conversion to audio here.

You turn MIDI into audio by sending it to an external MIDI instrument or some other software instrument on your computer, or by a virtual instrument plugin in Pro Tools. An instrument track is the easiest way to use a virtual instrument plugin and turn MIDI into Audio. There are many tutorials showing how to work with virtual instruments in Pro Tools findable on YouTube or Groove3. Pro Tools does not include a good drum VI. An excellent drum VI to start (and do a lot more) with is Toontrack EZ Drummer, it has a free trial. And you'll find good tutorials in using EZ Drummer online as well.

If all you want to do is record your eDrums sounds, then you need to record the audio, not the MIDI. You also may be able to send the MIDI back to the eDrum hardware and then record the audio from that. Possibly letting you separate drums etc. Look at the documentation for your eDrums.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-03-2024 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 01:56 PM

And really a duplicate of questions you previously asked and were already answered. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=427266

Please follow the DUC rules and do waste other people's time creating multiple threads about the same issue.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:31 AM

The reason you are pulling your hair out is you do not seem to understand the actual issue (and I would guess that given you posted this new thread only 4 minutes after posing this statement in the other thread "I am looking them over now.thanks guys. I'll report back. . I am betting either you did not really take the time to try fully understand the replies Or you just still do not understand how midi works in ProTools . And you are not taking the time to give significant information on exactly what you are doing and what your actual setup and routing etc.etc.are

Lets see if I can explain : (Assuming you are now using an instrument track ) and when you say you can hear your EF drums through headphones I assume you mean HP connected to some modual on your EF drums correct
Your EF Notes drums are no different than a midi keyboard or drum pad controller to Protools they are simply a means to get midi data/notes (not sounds) into Protools IN ORDER TO HEAR sounds you have to have a Virtual Instrument instantiated in the Inserts section of the Instrument track

It appears (from your screen shot) that you are simply inputing the Midi data from The EF drums into the PT instrument track and then out-putting the data back to EF which is using it DSP to create the sounds you are hearing in the Head phones ?? Yes ?

So because you have no virtual drum instrument plugin instantiated in the "insert" section of the Instrument track, PT cannot convert that midi data to audio .

In other words I think , to what you are trying to do ,,, you are going to have get a Virtual Drum Instrument plug in. Like EZ Drummer Or even the Free version of Slate Drums as I posted in the other thread and use it as an insert in PT and then figure out the midi note mapping ( or in the virtual keyboard view in the Midi Edit window manually move the entire horizontal rows of midi notes -to the correct vertical positions ) to match the corresponding drum types (kick snare toms etc.) for the VI drums

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 02-04-2024 at 11:05 AM.