Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2023, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Why does COMMIT track consolidate regions even when CONSOLIDATE is off?

I found that a Waves plug-in at the end of the chain caused the Commit to be consolidated. In this case it was L3. Good Luck.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:00 PM
Avid

Default Re: Why does COMMIT track consolidate regions even when CONSOLIDATE is off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnyc View Post
This is something that's been bugging me forever, across multiple versions of Pro Tools (currently using Ultimate 2021.12 on Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1).

If I have multiple adjacent (but NOT touching) regions [say A-B-C, where the +-" is no region, dead space, blank] and I commit them, sometimes, instead of getting A-B-C I might get AB-C or A-BC...
There is absolutely NO audio between the regions and no trailing reverb or anything like that either... as a matter of fact to split them back apart I usually use STRIP SILENCE set to -96dB and 4000 Min Strip Duration, but I should not have to do that if Commit worked as expected.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thank you
Hey Marc...

I asked Tope to look at this in the am and potentially get a case going on it. taking some good info from lesbrunn and Kris75 to add to the case will help.

Thanks and I will check in on it tomorrow.
marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 08-26-2023, 10:12 AM

Any news on this issue?
The only "safe" way I have found is this:
- First use the command SPACE CLIPS with 5 secs between the clips
- Then do COMMIT
- Then SPACE the clips again, this time with zero space
I do this many times a day, and it's really annoying.
Hope this will be fixed soon. Thanks.

PS. In my case these are, of course, clips that are "touching" each other (because of my workflow). Still, they should stay separate IMHO, if the "Consolidate Clips" option is unselected. (What's the point of having that option there anyway, if it's not working...?)

Last edited by alteregg; 08-26-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-27-2023, 11:06 AM

This has always annoyed me as well. It renders (pun intended) the commit function pretty much a non-option in so many cases.

I'd really like the option to force the non-consolidation feature by whatever means possible to overcome the noise-floor aspect. Can't it be made to simply treat the clip boundaries and fades as the rule, tapering off noise to follow the edits?
Old 08-29-2023, 11:07 AM
Avid

To everyone having the issue, please let us know what version of Pro Tools it started to happen and on what Pro Toos version it's showing the issue.
Are you all currently on the latest version of Pro Tools?
Please let us know.

I'm currently creating support cases for those who have posted/affected with the same issue on this thread.

Thank you,
-Tope

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 08-29-2023, 12:37 PM

I just did a few test in PT Studio 2022.7|W10 and spaced clips only consolidate when using a plug-in that introduces "analog noise" as other comments have mentioned.

The first few tests were with some stock plugins (no analog emulation). The commits mirrored the spaced clips both as a track & edit selection.

Then I randomly chose Waves V-EQ4, chose a preset for the instrument and enabled the analog setting. The spaced clips then consolidated as one continuous clip.

I removed the EQ4, committed again & the committed clips were spaced again.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 09-07-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tope d View Post
To everyone having the issue, please let us know what version of Pro Tools it started to happen and on what Pro Toos version it's showing the issue.
Are you all currently on the latest version of Pro Tools?
Please let us know.

I'm currently creating support cases for those who have posted/affected with the same issue on this thread.

Thank you,
-Tope
Hey Tope,

Great to see you're on this! Can't say I remember versions, but it's been happening since commit was introduced. Now that I understand it's not a bug, there could be a way for commit to ignore those artificial noise floors. As it is now, even turning off the added noise in plugins doesn't seem to help. PT still goes right ahead and consolidates. BTW, since you're working on commit would you also consider implementing an additional option to just mute the original track after committing it?

Another issue for me is the timing inaccuracy of committed tracks. This is generally OK for vocals and played instrument tracks, but sometimes becomes very noticeable on programmed/quantized midi tracks, especially bass for me. BScout explained that this is caused by sample handling, but I'm sure PT should be able to straighten this out internally before presenting the committed tracks. Thanks! (I would gladly re-instate just to have these improvements)

Last edited by lesbrunn; 08-31-2023 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Hey Marc...

I asked Tope to look at this in the am and potentially get a case going on it. taking some good info from lesbrunn and Kris75 to add to the case will help.

Thanks and I will check in on it tomorrow.
marianna
Hey Marianna, it's great to have you here. Maybe this is not the appropriate place to mention this, but my sister-in-law Kathryn Smith (who retired recently from Avid) visited Ghana recently, and I complained about how atrocious Avid Customer support has been over the years. She totally agreed because everyone knows this. I told her about your recent appearances here and how you had started shaking things up on the DUC, helping with much-needed support. Kathryn was full of praise and said you were a great, people-oriented person. Small world, isn't it? You are much appreciated here... Keep up the good work!
Old 09-05-2023, 05:58 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Hey Marianna, it's great to have you here. Maybe this is not the appropriate place to mention this, but my sister-in-law Kathryn Smith (who retired recently from Avid) visited Ghana recently, and I complained about how atrocious Avid Customer support has been over the years. She totally agreed because everyone knows this. I told her about your recent appearances here and how you had started shaking things up on the DUC, helping with much-needed support. Kathryn was full of praise and said you were a great, people-oriented person. Small world, isn't it? You are much appreciated here... Keep up the good work!
Small world is right. Kathryn has been one of my favorite peeps ever not only at Avid but in general. The nicest and kindest person and so very helpful with all things creative and marketing. Did you know she had a " swear" jar so that anyone who cursed in her presence at Avid, had to donate to that jar. I paid into the jar a few times but most often it was because something happened like a bug or a launch issue that shouldn't have and my mouth got the better of me ( LOLOL plus I couldn't help myself ). The team is a good one with Tope, David and Charles - online here helping so feel free to tag them or call them out if I am not around .... its hard covering so many products and locations but we get it done. I guess when you have service in your DNA... its easier :)

So nice to hear about what we do right.... rather than what we do wrong for a change.

Thanks again.
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com