Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 AM

Default A simple guide to making your Pro Tools TDM system work!

I'm sure I'm not alone when I speak unfortunately from a place of frustration with regards to finding a straight forward and simple solution for maintaining a trouble free pro tools rig, especially in the areas of crashes, errors and constant issues.

I certainly understand the great deal of resources and work required to create a software product that will work very well for many different users with a great deal of different needs however I've reaching a tipping point in terms of my ability to deal with the workflow loss that my HD rig is starting to create for me instead of its ability to assist me in make music.

There is a gargantuan amount of information suggesting what causes various crashes, and even more information regarding the optimal system settings, compatible plugins, hard drives, & more. I suppose what I'm trying to get at here is perhaps rather than working backwards from "make sure this is off, make sure this is off" perhaps there is a way to give all users a simple straightforward guide to making our systems work, example:

*THIS IS THE OS YOU SHOULD USE - DO NOT USE ANY OTHER OS
*THESE ARE THE PROPER SYSTEM SETTINGS- DO NOT CHANGE THEM
*THESE ARE THE ONLY PLUGINS YOU SHOULD USE- DO NOT USE ANY NOT LISTED HERE

here's the problem I'm having at present. The above statements, while made in one way or another by avid on various troubleshooting articles and suggestions on the forums don't actually provide the functionality of creating a trouble free working rig and thus undermines the entire content of all of that documentation. I look at their plugin list but it doesn't even list plugins for PT9, that on top of the fact that there is a vast number of plugins that aren't on the list(compatible or not). I simply don't trust the list because in the past it has proven wrong more than one time. Moving on, system settings and hard drive suggestions and data doesn't prove accurate either. I'd use only certain power outlets in my house if I thought it would make for a stable rig but unfortunately following the guidelines verbatim don't stop crashes and errors and so I'm turning here.

I will gladly pay someone in the Los Angeles area to come setup my rig so it stops crashing constantly. I have a brand new 8 Core Westmere Mac Pro with a HD3 rig and only compatible plugins so it should be pretty easy.

For our non-los angeles forum users does anyone have a "SIMPLE GUIDE to making your rig stop crashing?" Digitechsupport does a very good job of trying to address everyone on here but unfortunately the job is impossible to do at 100% satisfaction so its up to us to help each other.

I'm starting a Wiki page in hopes that we can come together and do this for each other. Pro Tools Guide Wiki
Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 AM

Default Re: A simple guide to making your Pro Tools TDM system work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post

*THIS IS THE OS YOU SHOULD USE - DO NOT USE ANY OTHER OS
*THESE ARE THE PROPER SYSTEM SETTINGS- DO NOT CHANGE THEM
*THESE ARE THE ONLY PLUGINS YOU SHOULD USE- DO NOT USE ANY NOT LISTED HERE

Hi,

1. Operating system; their of many reasons why people have to use different OS, plus Apple release updates almost Bi-monthly and Avid have to provide compatibility with the latest OS that gets shipped with ALL new Mac's

There's just no way to stay on one OS for any length of time unfortunately!!

2. system settings; these will be totally different depending on what system and what you do!! i have to change settings when going from mixing to mastering and so on. a midi programmer will want one setup and a studio tracking musicians will want a completely different setup.

3. plugin choice; well apple have tried with their AU validation tool and it makes no difference. even 100% compatible plugins can cause problems! Avid themselves just don't have the time or resources to check every plugin for hours on every possible scenario!! we want plugin choices like we want car choices and that won't change.

On the subject of plugins though i do think ALL TDM and RTAS developers should agree at birth with their SDK's to upload all the latest updates to "ONE COMMON PLACE" this would be a start towards getting people to keep their folders up to date

I understand where you are coming from and its a dim place when things don't run right! and i freaking know!!!!! but there's is usually light at the end of the tunnel even if the problem doesn't get fixed!!! some sacrifices have to be made for reliability.

Computers are highly complex and occasional quits will happen!! but with a bit of work and some knowledge you can get a system reliable and working well.

Personally i don't see wiki working as we have a good forum here with plenty of knowledge around and i don't think we want to dilute the experts in their field but keep them in one common place!!

End of my 2 cents (2 pence uk..... 1/100 of a €)
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........

Now on to your troubles

Give us a complete list of your equipment!
complete list of versions / OS etc
give us full details of what work you do!
give us details of how you want to work!

Run this plugin lister app and paste the results here! I know its predictable and you've checked your plugins already!!! but lest be sure... http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/9xyx8w

There are ways to hunt down problems and its usually a process of elimination and it can be unfortunately time consuming!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 AM

I couldn't agree more in terms of getting the PlugIn makers to use a central common place for updates and distribution. Look at the App store, as much as critics don't always love the walled garden way of doing things unfortunately the truth is that it provides a user experience that is 100 fold more stable and satisfying than our current setup. I agree that the duc is rich in knowledge and help but things like Plugtools, and the Pref & Database helper came out of users necessity for more than what is/was currently offered here, that is my idea with the wiki. I don't want to distract from here or do anything other than provide a supplemental page with a concise and substantive guide that will troubleshoot you and solve your problems in the absolute quickest/easiest way possible.

I am very grateful for your assistance in helping me so I created THIS THREAD to troubleshoot my specific issues(I gathered the information you asked for) while not taking away from the original topic of this thread which is should we or can we create a wiki to help us all.

Thanks so much.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I will gladly pay someone in the Los Angeles area to come setup my rig so it stops crashing constantly.
I will gladly do it for free if you pay my flights from Tampere/Finland to LAX and back (business class of course) :)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 AM

while I appreciate the offer unfortunately current airfares from your location make it a stretch.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 AM

I know, it's a couple thousands...
Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM

what area of town?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM

Sherman Oaks CA.

my e-mail
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Would it help to have other users systems for you to compare yours to? I'm moving two ppc hd3 rigs to mac pros. I spent weeks combing this here AAF (p.k.a. DUC) trying to determine what rigs I could "copy". The signatures are helpful but don't get into sufficient detail. My guess is Avid would not foster such a thread here, but it would be nice if they did. Would your Wiki allow people to post the details of their rig, in such elaborate detail as ram (make and size), OS (combo update or other), machine, chassis, cards (version and order), plugin version, hd, etc etc), with the view and encouragement to revisit to update their entry when their rig changes?

My tuppence ha'penny's worth.

K

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12.1.138 | Mac Studio M1 Max (64 GB) | Ventura 13.6.3 | Clarett+ 2Pre

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD6 PCIx | Mac Pro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Magma PE6R4-I | 192 i/o |

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD3 PCIe | MacPro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Apogee Rosetta 200 | C|24

Old 01-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I will gladly pay someone in the Los Angeles area to come setup my rig so it stops crashing constantly. I have a brand new 8 Core Westmere Mac Pro with a HD3 rig and only compatible plugins so it should be pretty easy.
While I would love to come by and help and also make a few dollars, you may be better off just paying for the avid tech support one time and getting someone on the phone that can take remote control of your system and look in all the nooks and crannies to see what is going on. If they don't get it sorted out on the first call they will continue to keep the support ticket open until it is all sorted out. You can sit and watch your monitor as an experienced tech goes through your system.