Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 07:24 AM

Default Any suggestions for mixing vocals?

Hello I am using a digi001 and I am tracking through a neuman tlm103 micrpphone. Yet I am still not getting the sound I am looking out of my vocal signal. Are there any suggestions for plug in combinations or plug ins in general. I am sure to limit and expand everything I just feel mabie there is a plug in or something I need to add..
Old 12-22-2003, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Any suggestions for mixing vocals?

Waves and bomb factory plugins
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 12-22-2003, 10:38 AM

check your preamp....
Old 12-22-2003, 11:08 AM

Are you using the preamps in the the 001, then I reckon that the sound isn't there. Get a decent preamp that works well with your neat mic!
Old 12-22-2003, 03:32 PM

What is a good pre for the gt55?
Old 12-22-2003, 03:41 PM

I need a little more info so right now I am making an assumption...

First of all, before you start adding in plugs and spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to possibly fix your problem maybe you should look at some alternatives. A plug in is not going to fix improper mic placement or bad singing or rapping techniques. How long have you been mixing? In other words are you new at it? Sometimes just researching mixing techniques can do wonders without the use of plugs.

Don't get me wrong, a better front end, better converters, better plugs can do wonders for polish but bad tracking can ruin the best of works. I have heard great tracks come out of the stock preamps on the 001 so it is possible. It just takes more knowledge and understaning of your craft. I don't expect to pick up a saxaphone and when it doesn't sound the way Kenny G sounds blame the sax.

So give us a little more info on what your problem is.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:20 PM

Just out of interest, what the neuman tlm103 like??
Old 12-22-2003, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Just out of interest, what the neuman tlm103 like??
I had one for a while.

They are decent mics. I think your would get more for your money with something like a RODE K2 or Blue Baby Bottle.

Cheerz!

www.Chrisclouse.com
Old 12-22-2003, 11:05 PM

tlm 103s have a very present highend. A little too exagerated for my taste but can really add some air to some parts. I would rather have a TL 414 for my taste. Take a listen to the listening sessions. You can find a ton of good samples on that site.

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/
Old 12-23-2003, 12:45 AM

Hi!
Biggest thing I would suggest with a vocal is to first get it *on tape* as close to what the person sounds like without a mic. Trying to add to an improperly recorded vocal (or any instrument) is like trying to perform brain surgery on yourself. Wont work very well, unless there is an unnatural effect you are going for. With EQ, subtracting is almost always more effective than adding. If natural is what you are going for, and subtracting doesnt get it there, the source is the problem, and all the EQ or other FX in the world probably wont fix it. Always exceptions tho...

Not all recordings will sound exactly as you wanted them to, or envisioned them. Only experience will sculpt your ear for *hearing* frequencies, and only then will EQ use become a surgical tool of accuracy. Until then, experimenting, observing, etc. will help immensely. There are also some decent video courses to help you to really understand what is going on. Also, READ!!! There are several great books to get a basic understanding of sound, engineering, and other aspects of basic recording.

I would highly suggest a good->great quality compressor inline while tracking vocals. Not so much for the compression (unless it is a bad singer/rapper. then again, if it were, I'd just leave, or ask them to ). Especially with digital recording, one little over can ruin an otherwise brilliant take. However, compression, like EQ and everything else, is an art. Dont expect to paint Mona Lisas. Takes time!

Lastly, everyone works differently! Experiment, have fun. No one way is the "right" way for every situation. Granted, there are some basic principles that, if followed, will aid you in getting a good foundation to work with. Without a good foundation, even a hardened house of ***** will come crumbling down
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.