Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2021, 06:22 AM

Default Connecting PT and RX7 with audio engine

Is there a best practice for both PT and RX7 to connect with the audio engine/software? We know how to move the files from PT to iZotope/RX for editing but PT locks up the audio hardware/software and won't allow sharing. So, we have to quit PT to open RX. Then quit RX and reopen PT. Working on an HP mobile workstation.

Is there any other best practices for this? Our typical use is quick cleanups for video.

Thank you!
Old 07-26-2021, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Connecting PT and RX7 with audio engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymills View Post
Is there a best practice for both PT and RX7 to connect with the audio engine/software? We know how to move the files from PT to iZotope/RX for editing but PT locks up the audio hardware/software and won't allow sharing. So, we have to quit PT to open RX. Then quit RX and reopen PT. Working on an HP mobile workstation.

Is there any other best practices for this? Our typical use is quick cleanups for video.

Thank you!

What interface? I can have both running on my setup.

As long as your interface has multi client drivers, it should work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2021, 06:45 AM

Hi Sardi,

Running PT on a ZBook Workstation G6. Not sure if that answers your interface question.

Is there a best multi-client interface recommended? Not used this before as most of our workflow was in and out of PT. With RX clean up this changes things.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:48 AM

Use the RX Monitor plugin and workflow. Create an aux track in Pro Tools and insert the RX Monitor plugin. In the RX standalone app, in Preferences, under Audio, select RX Monitor as the Driver Type and the Output Device. Now the RX audio streams through Pro Tools. As an added bonus, when using it for dialog editing and mixing, I set the output of the RX Monitor Aux to a bus I call DX Mon. Then I set the input of all my dialog tracks to that bus. Now when I send a clip to RX, I put that dialog track into input and I can hear the RX audio as I'm working on it in realtime through my dialog chain.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:48 AM

Are you not using an audio interface with your computer?

Old 07-26-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Are you not using an audio interface with your computer?

Are you referring to me or the OP?

I use HD Native with an Omni. I have an OWC TB Dock with an optical input that I stream to the monitor section on my Omni, so I could monitor RX audio just through system sound. But I prefer the method I described and being able to monitor through my dialog chain.

The OP is using Windows, and I have read that it is important to disable system sound through the interface that Pro Tools is using, otherwise the system is unstable. But I cannot say from firsthand experience.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:14 AM

Default Connecting PT and RX7 with audio engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Are you referring to me or the OP?

I use HD Native with an Omni. I have an OWC TB Dock with an optical input that I stream to the monitor section on my Omni, so I could monitor RX audio just through system sound. But I prefer the method I described and being able to monitor through my dialog chain.

The OP is using Windows, and I have read that it is important to disable system sound through the interface that Pro Tools is using, otherwise the system is unstable. But I cannot say from firsthand experience.

Sorry. OP. There wasn’t a reply after the post hence not quoting.

RX connect is definitely one way of working, but if the interface is multi client, you should be able to run both simultaneously. I can run as many apps as I like with PT open all utilising the same interface. I’m on a Mac though and now that you’ve pointed out the OP is on Windows (which I overlooked), that may well be the problem.