Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Default Linking channel mutes

On an SC48 I am double assigning 8 channels so that I can use the second set for the monitor feeds. Is there a way to link the channel mutes to its monitor mate? Sometimes the monitor channels are on a lower layer and I would like to be able to mute individual channels but have it also mute its mate. I don’t want to have to do this with the mute group buttons and I don’t want to use up all of the mute groups. I want a channel link function but where only the mutes are linked. Is this capability available and I just haven’t found it yet?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Linking channel mutes

you can make an event in the option page. make as trigger mute channel (foh), action mute channel paired (mon).

what normaly do for almost every show or festival, where i don't know exactly what is comming: 8 vocals channels, doubble assign the inputs (just as you described). and create an event where the foh fader is down mon channel mutes. and where foh fader is little bit open, monitor channel unmutes. works great!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 AM

This is in a church and any of the 8 vocal mics that are double assigned may need to be muted individually at any time.

The event solution sounds like it will do exactly what I am looking for. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingthor View Post
you can make an event in the option page. make as trigger mute channel (foh), action mute channel paired (mon).

what normaly do for almost every show or festival, where i don't know exactly what is comming: 8 vocals channels, doubble assign the inputs (just as you described). and create an event where the foh fader is down mon channel mutes. and where foh fader is little bit open, monitor channel unmutes. works great!
I am trying this in the offline software first. I am still playing with it but I managed to get it to work linked in one direction. If I mute and un-mute channel one the monitor linked channel mute follows. But when I tried to make it also work and have the monitor channel mute channel 1 I put it into a loop and it seemed to want to crash my computer.

When I set it as follows it works in one direction.

Triggers
CH1, Mute channel, on
CH1, Mute channel, off

Action
Mute CH33, Toggle, While Active, Wait 0.0sec

Am I doing it correctly?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 AM

Change the modifier to "XOR" instead of "OR" or "AND"

Change "While Active" to "Toggle"

That should work for you.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
Change the modifier to "XOR" instead of "OR" or "AND"

Change "While Active" to "Toggle"

That should work for you.
The choices in that drop down are either [While Active] or [Latch] I can’t change it to toggle. And I already have the on, off, toggle field set to toggle.

It looks like there isn’t way to link the functionality of the buttons together and have it behave properly. Or should I say behave the way I want it to. Which is basically they both perform the same function and mute and un-mute each other.

I have found a way to configure it that I think will work well for the client based on their needs.

Based or what vickingthor suggested. I have set it up so when the FOH fader is down (below –90) it mutes the MON channel and when the FOH fader is up (above –89) in un-mutes the MON channel. And I have it set so if you mute or un-mute the FOH channel it mutes and un-mutes the MON channel. I think this will work for them and the behavior is very logical.

Now the question is how many events can I program into the SC48?

If I am right I will need the 3 events per channel (8 for this functionality) that I want to act this way.

The events are as follows

Name – link channel mute.
Trigger
(Ch1), Mute Channel, On
Action
Mute (Ch41), On, While Active

Name – Ch1 down kills CH41
Trigger
(Ch1), Fader Below, -90
Action
Mute (Ch41), On, Latch

Name – Ch1 up un-mutes CH41
Trigger
(Ch1), Fader Above, -89
Action
Mute (Ch41), Off, Latch

And I will just need to make this set per channel pair I want to behave this way.

Any other suggestions on questions?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM

What version of the software are you using? I was able to get it to function properly on my system. I'm using the latest build 2.9.1

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
What version of the software are you using? I was able to get it to function properly on my system. I'm using the latest build 2.9.1
I am using the off line software to test these things before I do it on the console. I am using version 2.9.0.267 of the off line software.

Are you saying in version 2.9.1 that they added toggle to the field that [While Active] and [Latch] are in and this is the answer to making the mutes of 2 channels link together?

The SC48 I am using is loaded with the latest version of the software.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:58 AM

what i use as events is:

Trigger (or)
Ch 41 channel below -50db

Action
mute Ch33, on, while active.

if you program it like that, you will only need one event for on or off.

but what you want with channel mutes you will need i think 2 events per pair.

event 1:
Trigger (or)
Ch 41 mute channel on

Action
Mute Ch 33 on while active

event 2:
Trigger (or)
Ch 33 mute channel on

Action
Mute Ch 41 on while active
Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingthor View Post
what i use as events is:

Trigger (or)
Ch 41 channel below -50db

Action
mute Ch33, on, while active.

if you program it like that, you will only need one event for on or off.

but what you want with channel mutes you will need i think 2 events per pair.

event 1:
Trigger (or)
Ch 41 mute channel on

Action
Mute Ch 33 on while active

event 2:
Trigger (or)
Ch 33 mute channel on

Action
Mute Ch 41 on while active
I just tried all of that together in the off line software and it looks like it does exactly what I wanted. I did the mutes and the fader below and it looks good.

Thank you!