Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2003, 11:42 AM

Default OT: Anybody recommend any good movies/DVDs?

Russell Crowe was on Letterman last night touting 'Master and Commander: Far Side of the World'...it looks to be good...comes out tonight.
On DVD, I got '28 Days Later' last week, and recommend it. Very interesting DVD, complete with alternate endings.
What about you guys...anything out there you'de recommend?

By the way, to justify this topic, I'm sure PT was used in making whatever is mentioned here...

thanks, Roy

Old 11-14-2003, 12:05 PM

Default Re: OT: Anybody recommend any good movies/DVDs?

watch stuff done by M. Night Shyamalan. He is a very good thriller/horror/scifi director.

He did "signs", "the sixth sense" and "unbreakable". Really tip of the chair type of stuff.....

Bastiaan
Old 11-14-2003, 02:17 PM

I recently saw:

"Owning Mahowny" very good
"The Dancer Upstairs" very, very good
"The Italian Job" B flat thriller, but good acting
"The Recruit" absolute, total, dogs***.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:44 PM

I know what you mean about 'The Recruit'. I suffered through it too. Who's in 'The Dancer Upstairs', bp?... (can't believe I haven't heard of it.)
Old 11-14-2003, 02:46 PM

i liked the Minority Report...

Old 11-14-2003, 03:13 PM

Roy,

Have you seen either of the Lord of the Rings movies that are out on DVD? Even if that is not something you think you would normally go for, you should give them a shot. Great story and the filmaking IMHO is awesome. Not your typical fantasy type stuff. And I am almost certain that PT was used in some aspect of the soundtrack.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:35 PM

Not a movie per se but Dylan's "Don't Look Back" is re-released on DVD with some extra stuff.

Despite the title it's a great "Look Back"
Old 11-14-2003, 04:39 PM

Quote:
watch stuff done by M. Night Shyamalan. He is a very good thriller/horror/scifi director.

He did "signs", "the sixth sense" and "unbreakable". Really tip of the chair type of stuff.....
was 'signs' meant to be a comedy? coz i sure thought it was hilarious, if ya kno what i'm sayin'...
Old 11-14-2003, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Roy,

Have you seen either of the Lord of the Rings movies that are out on DVD?
Joe,
I sure haven't seen them yet, but I definitely have meant to... great suggestion. I'll probably get it for tomorrow night and get that fireplace going.... thanks, Roy

kmshroom,
I have to agree with you on 'Signs'...I was disappointed at what M. Night Shyamalan did with it, because I mean, he had all the elements there to make a killer alien movie, but it just never got there to me. It was a good concept in theory, but just underdeveloped, I thought.
Oh, I can do some rambling when it comes to movies, so I better back off...

Cool suggestions so far... badperson, if you see this, tell me a little about 'The Dancer Upstairs' if you would. Who's in it/director/general plot...any of that stuff.
thanks, Roy
Old 11-14-2003, 05:30 PM

Quote:
kmshroom,
I have to agree with you on 'Signs'...I was disappointed at what M. Night Shyamalan did with it, because I mean, he had all the elements there to make a killer alien movie, but it just never got there to me. It was a good concept in theory, but just underdeveloped, I thought.
Hmmm, Signs is a great movie...my opinion of course but, I think most people who have seen this movie don't understand what this movie is really about. It's most certainly not an "Alien" movie, that is just a small....sub plot if you will that helps in the story telling. Watch this movie again sometime. No big twist at the end like in "Sixth Sense" is also why people don't seem to like it. I wouldn't want M. Night's movies to be all the same.

Anyway, I recommend "Requiem For A Dream" sort of an independent film with great cinematography and use of sound effects and surround sound. It's a disturbing movie but, great actors and great film.

Thanks for listening