Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Pro Tools 6.1 HTDM vs RTAS problems

Hi everyone.

I've been using my HD2 rig a lot lately with a Powerbook G4 800 and 768 megs of Ram with the Magma 4 slot Silencer Magma chassis in OS 10.2.6 Jaguar. I have a 192 I/O with the additional A/D card.

I was working on a session yesterday and I was trying to use Sampletank (an RTAS plugin) with some drums and percussion. Maybe 4-5 notes simultaneously. Nothing really heavy with it.

By the way, when I try to tell Sampletank to use less than 64 notes for polyphony,(ie try to change the number) as soon as I hit enter, Pro Tools quits. Anyone else seen this? Is there some way around that? Does the computer work easier if I lower the number of notes in Sampletank?

I was also trying to use B4(an HTDM plugin). Everything seems to be working fine, but near the end of the song, Sampletank starts barfing, and I believe the B4 is also out of sync. If you disable and enable B4, then it's back to normal, but you still get the choking thing going on. Playback will stop, and I get the CPU overloaded message, as the System Usage window also indicates.

I don't believe that this should be happening. I didn't have any other programs running that I know of, but I believe there may be a Palm thing running in the background that I'll have to look into.

Is there some fix to this, or do we need to wait for Digi to write new PT code that can handle HTDM and RTAS happily together?

I thought I saw something on here about not being able to use both in the same session. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Is somebody working on a way to run software synths off of the HD cards rather than the CPU? That would be cool too. Like Virus Indigo or something? I'm not liking the way the computer bogs down because of this. Any suggestions on how to free up some CPU power?

On another note, I'm really impressed with the Reason streaming into PT via Rewire. Very cool.

Please let me know here or at [email protected].
Old 09-29-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 6.1 HTDM vs RTAS problems

Hi again. No one responded, so I'm assuming that

1. No one cares.

2. No one has tried this before.

3. No one else has problems with it, but is too busy to respond.

4. Everyone is too ticked off about ACCEL upgrade prices that nothing else matters right now.

Ha Ha..

Seriously.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Hi again. No one responded, so I'm assuming that

1. No one cares.

2. No one has tried this before.

3. No one else has problems with it, but is too busy to respond.

4. Everyone is too ticked off about ACCEL upgrade prices that nothing else matters right now.

Ha Ha..

Seriously.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know I saw some posts on sample tank a few months back. I thought there was a fix. I only tried the sample tank OEM for a little bit - and gave up. When i read the warnings that came with amplitude I thought ' why do i wanna intall it when it comes with this?"

So, not being very helpful - but you might search SAMPLETANK and find the posts. I think there was one from a sampletank software rep.

also i think you are probably correct about item number 4.

scott

Old 09-29-2003, 11:21 PM

Actually, the deal is this: everyone knows about this HUGE problem, and there is no answer. Digi has refused to cmment on it, other than their official position that rtas and HTDM run concurrently MAY cause problems on some systems. OS 9, OSX, same thing. Oh boy....
Old 09-30-2003, 12:10 AM

I had serious problems with sampletank as well!!! ...same as you.. I think its also a problem of sampletank - I dont know anyone who works with it professionally - sorry but: I think its a toy! I use reason now and it works great!
Old 10-01-2003, 08:42 AM

Yeah. I bought Sampletank XL last August. I've been pretty happy with it though. I do agree when you say it is more of a toy, but for doing quick demo stuff, nothing beats it!

I did recently pick up Reason 2.5, and I am loving it a lot. It's way cooler than I thought it would be. You can just do what you want with minimal hassle (CPU speed and RAM) I am going to try to do some more testing with my Titanium 800 and see how much I can get away with. I love the samplers and the synths are fat.

Hopefully this HTDM vs RTAS thing will be worked out very shortly. It's a pain to try to use Sampletank AND Reason AND B4 in OS X right now.

Craig
Old 10-01-2003, 12:01 PM

the free sampletank that comes with the pro tools promotion. seems fine at first but repeatedly cause OSX version of PT to just vaporize, ie quit with no alerts. I think this is similar to other RTAS sample play back engines such as Unity. I hesitate to invest money in Machfive and find out it too is problematic. I don't even use any HTDM plugs so htat isn't it. So far, soft samplers are not reliable in Pro Tools. Wierd that someone doesn't try TDM sampler, since Virus (a TDM synth) has always worked great. Also Stylas (a RTAS playback module seems to work OK).
Personally, I think the real future of samplers is a combo software interface/Firewire DSP box. this way the load gets taken off and you get the ease of computer control. Of course this would all have to work within a host like Pro Tools.