Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2004, 02:06 AM

Default Problem with sample/bit rates in project??!

Hi all! I was working on a project recently on RADAR which was saved as 48khz 24bit BWF files..The tracks were then exported via ethernet to the G4 and then saved on CD to give to a client who wanted to take it away and mix on another Pro Tools rig.

A couple of days later they rang up and said they had a huge amonunt of grief having to reformat the files because they were playing too slow when loaded into the other Pro Tools rig! Surely there shouldnt have been a problem with the files being 48khz 24bit?!

I'd have thought Pro Tools could easily have coped with this? His rig was a TDM and ours was just LE, and when I tried importing the files I had no problem at all.. The client seemed to believe that it was the fault of us that the files were problematic, but I'm thinking that 48khz 24bit files are pretty standard issue really! ( athough he prefers to work in 44.1khz 16bit to mix in). I told him what format the files were in previously so he shouldve been prepared for that. Could it have been the case that he was still using a 44.1khz 16bit template which made the files playback the way they did?

I just dont want them bad mouthing our studio by saying that WE did something wrong when it is the fault of someone else! Can someone let me know if I've done something disasterously wrong in using 48khz 24bit files or the problem lies elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-02-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Problem with sample/bit rates in project??!

sounds like they were playing back at 44.1.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Problem with sample/bit rates in project??!

Clearly a lack of communication, and clearly the client has his session set to 44.1k.

Does the RADAR do 44.1? It would appear to be a better choice if the project is going elsewhere.

Again, we need to communicate up front. Other than that, you have done nothing wrong.

Unless they are mixing outside of the box, they will have to sample rate the final two track to 44.1 (as opposed to sample rate changing each file.) Depending on the SRC that could be a painless exercise, or a truly horrible experience.

Best of luck.