Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2016, 04:55 AM

Default Re: PT 12.6 Video Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Horse View Post
What happens if you "disable video hardware" in the options menu and run the video from the desktop? The BlackMagic hardware or driver could be the cause.
I know you had it working in 12.4, but a BM card makes the video engine very fragile I've learned.
This was my thought as well. I'm running 12.6 without problems so far, but I have a different cpu, Avid DX interface, OSX 10.10.5.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:47 PM

I don't remember if I tried disabling the video hardware - but why does it work once I've gone through all the hoops I discribed earlier?

I've tried a few different video files. ProRes, DNx, MP4. All with the same result.
I really think it's a hardware problem, or at least something PT12.6 doesn't like but 12.4 is fine with.

Avid support so far has told me to delete the prefs!!

Thanks ... hadn't thought of that!

Hopefully they'll have something more constructive to say.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:50 PM

Also I've gone back to Mac OS 10.9.5.

The graphics redraw in ElCapitain was way too slow. I couldn't even read the Waves meter while mixing a big session.

Same exact problems with PT 12.6!!
Old 10-16-2016, 07:59 AM

I'm still having video errors as well in 12.6. Pretty much the same as 12.5.x. It mostly happens when editing fast in small increments. Like edit, playback, edit, playback, edit playback...error. PT says there is an error and I say no to restarting the video engine. I work a few minutes and restart the engine and it works for a while...then repeats. After about 3 or 4 of these errors it gets stuck and have to relaunch PT.

I'm on 10.10.5 using a separate 7200 rpm drive for video with Pro Res and DNxHD...never mp4's. I seem to remember that it does work fine when hardware is disabled so it may be the Blackmagic driver, 10.4.3 I think. Is there a stable version out there? Not sure there is.

Are the Kono cards and drivers any better?
Old 10-16-2016, 12:06 PM

Remove all video from your session, like everything. Even all the video tracks in your clip bin.

Close and relaunch the session. Then add the video.

It should work, had the same issue after I updated. It only happens with old video sessions that were created before 12.6. Any new session is fine.

*Also, remember to display your video track in blocks. This will stop video errors that come up when trying to display thumbnails, and also saves processing power that would be used to generate new thumbnails on every zoom in/out. Also, make sure you're using right click options to resize your video to 25% increments.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
I'm still having video errors as well in 12.6. Pretty much the same as 12.5.x. It mostly happens when editing fast in small increments. Like edit, playback, edit, playback, edit playback...error. PT says there is an error and I say no to restarting the video engine. I work a few minutes and restart the engine and it works for a while...then repeats. After about 3 or 4 of these errors it gets stuck and have to relaunch PT.

I'm on 10.10.5 using a separate 7200 rpm drive for video with Pro Res and DNxHD...never mp4's. I seem to remember that it does work fine when hardware is disabled so it may be the Blackmagic driver, 10.4.3 I think. Is there a stable version out there? Not sure there is.

Are the Kono cards and drivers any better?
I haven't worked enough in 12.6 yet but with 12.4 I had luck using a newer BlackMagic driver. 10.7.1 I believe. It adds a huge additional 250ms offset but I don't get many errors due to fast editing like I used to. See the BlackMagic driver sticky thread. Running video on a faster drive does seem to help as well.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent W. View Post
Remove all video from your session, like everything. Even all the video tracks in your clip bin.

Close and relaunch the session. Then add the video.

It should work, had the same issue after I updated. It only happens with old video sessions that were created before 12.6. Any new session is fine.

*Also, remember to display your video track in blocks. This will stop video errors that come up when trying to display thumbnails, and also saves processing power that would be used to generate new thumbnails on every zoom in/out. Also, make sure you're using right click options to resize your video to 25% increments.
Thank you all for your suggestions but nothing works.

I've been clearing the bin and saving and it does the same thing once PT12.6 is quit and re-opened.

I tried making a new session, just loading the video on a track and I get the same "video engine" error. I go through the same hoops to recover from that. I then saved the session, quit ProTools, reopened the session and I get the same thing. Tried 2 different videos from 2 different clients. One DNx, one mp4. (Don't let this degrade into an mp4 discussion, I never use it. It was only for testing purposes)

I got it all working (with the steps outlined in the first post), disabled the video hardware. Saved, quit, reopened and I get the same results - doesn't work.

It's got nothing to do with having the video displayed in blocks (which I always have) or thumbnails - it happens way before the session even opens.

Vince
Old 10-17-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I haven't worked enough in 12.6 yet but with 12.4 I had luck using a newer BlackMagic driver. 10.7.1 I believe. It adds a huge additional 250ms offset but I don't get many errors due to fast editing like I used to. See the BlackMagic driver sticky thread. Running video on a faster drive does seem to help as well.
Thanks...will give 10.7.1 a run.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:07 PM

The last version of Black magic would be 10.8.1. For me It solved a lot of problems but I am using SSD for system drive, audio and video.
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 10-28-2016, 09:28 AM

Hi,
I jump from HD 10 to HD 12,6.
Video engine doesnt work AT ALL!
First,i suspect that it might be Blackmagic drivers,and tryed every single one of them. No luck.
Then i try to nail down where the problem is.
I did every osx clean install from Mavericks to El Capitan,and always get same error "video engine have unrecoverable error",and of course when you try to launch,it cant. I also try all PT version as well.
I have separate drives for audio,video and system. System is PCIe SSD,fastest possible,audio and video drives are 10.000 rpm Seagate,video files are all encoded to Pro Res LT or DNxHD,RAM is 32GB. I dont know where problem is,but i do know that is really really embarassing to have such expensive update which is totally unusablle!
This issue starts with implementation of AVE,PT 11,and obviouslly is permanent.

Please Avid,resolve this ASAP!