Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Default Is there a quick way to call up/locate your plugins...

I was wondering if anyone might have some advice about this...

Im using kontakt which allows me to load pretty much as many instruments as my comp can handle...

the one I'm doing it right now:
open up a bunch of instrument tracks, I1 will have kontakt loaded in there as an insert and all subsequent I tracks will have midi routed to the original kontakt loaded in I1...

the problem is after opening a couple of instrument tracks and other plugins it gets kind of annoying having to find I1 just so I can edit or change a sound being used on another instrument track...

U have to scroll around and find it and then find your way back to the I track you were initially on to record...

is there a shortcut that will show me which tracks have actual instrument plugins loaded in them?

also would it cause any problems if I loaded all my instrument plugins (kontakt, battery, xpand, etc...) into the inserts of one instrument track and then just route sounds from within the plugin?

thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Is there a quick way to call up/locate your plugins...

Link a Window Configuration to a Memory Location. And no one Instrument (MIDI Node) per Instrument track.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:27 AM

not sure what u mean...

it wud've been cool if it was setup like how cubase is setup...

theres a separate area that u go load up all your vst/ instruments and then each midi channel u open u tell it to target whatever instrument you want and each channel has a button that can actually call up the instrument so you can edit the sound...

I guess PT still has take a couple more steps to perfect the MIDI stuff...
Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Here's another option. If you find yourself with the same instrument in lots of sessions, create a new session with all your standard "go to" stuff and save it as a template or just as a session on ANY drive. I had a dilemma with DB-33 and the midi mapping to my drawbar controller. Every time I would call up DB-33 as a plugin, the controller would need remapping(manually assigning every control to the proper control in the plugin). By doing it one time and saving that as a session on my samples drive(a small file since it has no audio), whenever I need DB-33, instead of creating an instrument track and going for the plugin, I simply go File>Import Session Data, go to the DB-33 session and import the track from there. When I do it that way, I hit a single button on the controller and everything works perfectly(all the DB-33 drawbars snap to the settings on the drawbar controller. I know its not exactly your scenario, but think it thru and it might give you a way to shortcut a lot of work

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-05-2011, 12:43 PM

yea I feel u,
I think I might try that with a click, master fader and 5 intrument channels, that way I dont have to load those up every time...

but how do you manage what you have open once youre into your session... so after you get like 10 instrument channels open and 5 might be targeting kontakt and the others might be going elsewhere...

if each channel had the ability to call up w/e instrument it was targeting, that would be dope, u kno...
Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM

Russ at the Air Users Blog had a nice tutorial the other day in how to set up you favorite plug ins. When you see your favorite plugin, hold down the command key (Mac) and click on your plugin. They will all be at the top of your list.