Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 10:42 PM

Default BFD drum module. newbie. set up questions and help

hey all.

i'm just beginning to use BFD drum module. great program.

i have a few questions. any users out there feel free to give your input.

my first question is this. using it in pro tools as a plugin is there a way to assign each drum from BFD to its own seperate track in pro tools? so i would be able to mix and add plugins to an individual piece of the kit.

my second question sort of relates to the first. in the very near future i would like to use my drummers roland vdrums with the BFD in pro tools. is this possible and if so, how would i go about doing this? can i seperate each drum into its own track that way as well? so it would be like recording a real kit.

right now i am using pro tools LE 6.9.2 with tiger.
i have a new powermac G5 dual 2.5 ghz with 1 gig of ram.

anyone recommend upping my ram to 2gigs for BFD and the vdrums?

also i have been reading some posts on here and it seems people recommend installing the bfd app onto the main hard drive, putting the samples on another drive and keeping your pro tools sessions on a third drive.

right now i have this available to me and was wondering if i could get some recommendations.
i have an 80g boot drive. a 160g media drive in the powermac and a 120g lacie external firewire drive. i purchased the lacie about 3 years ago. im unsure of the specs. i don't think they offer 120g anymore. any tips on where i should put what?

any help on any of this would be very appreciated. any advice and tips from BFD users for a newbie would be great as well.

cheers all
Old 09-20-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: BFD drum module. newbie. set up questions and help

I've been using BFD for a couple of months now...
If you can increase your RAM to 2 Gig, I'd say "go for it". I've found BFD to be quite a beast!

I haven't bothered to send each individual drum to separate channels... but apparently, if you launch the "ReWire" version of BFD, you should be able to do it.

I've been turning my MIDI drum patterns into Audio tracks though to save CPU power.
That way BFD isn't running in the background and eating up precious RAM, etc...

I've been turning the MIDI sequence into a stereo track of cymbals, a stereo track of kick drum and toms, and a mono track of snare drum. I've found that this gives me all the control I need.
Most of the "relative levels" I set in BFD by using the Trim, Direct Level, and Room Mic controls...

Anyway... it's been working really well for me.

If you get your friend to play V-Drums, just set up a MIDI channel, and have the output of that MIDI channel send to the Aux channel that BFD is running on. It'll work like a charm.

Good luck
Old 09-20-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: BFD drum module. newbie. set up questions and help

thanks

any more tips anyone?

also, advice on what hard drives i should put what would be amazing.

cheers