How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Help educate a newb!!

Hey all:

I've been recording using the Digi002r and my Dell PC. That's all good. I have an M-audio keystation 61es controller and all of the wonderful bundled sequencers/synthesizers etc that come with PTLE (reason adapted/ableton live/sampletank/etc). I have a basic understanding of what MIDI is/does/can do, however, I have ZERO clue on how to use any of it. Let's say I have the guitar parts recorded in PT. I have my controller connected and ready to go. I want to add drums, keys, maybe some strings or other wierd sounds (bare with me here). Since I'm only one person and I need other instruments to help thicken/round out a song, I want to use the tools available, MIDI! This is the part where I have no idea what to do. I know that the controller will transmit what I 'play' directly into PT...however, well, really, I have no clue. Can I get some help here??? I understand there's a lot of info regarding this topic and I've done google searches out there to educate myself some, to get the basics, but I guess I need a dumbed down version of what these programs do and how I need to use them...links to other sources/threads are fine...THANK YOU!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Help educate a newb!!

Hi

I'll explain it to you shortly. First of all make one Aux and one MIDI track. On AUX track choose sampletank as a first insert and choose a sound in it also. Then assign MIDI track input to your controller and output to sampletank. Now push the rec button on midi track and you should hear the sound. Dont forget to put aux volume at unity. It's default is inf.

Hope that helps
Old 05-24-2005, 06:18 AM

Thank you!!! I'll give this a shot and see what I can create....
Old 06-23-2005, 08:51 PM

Another newbie needs help. I am currently using my MPC as the master sequencer. Is there a way that I can connect my MPC, Mo Phatt sound module and Radium midi controller to my Digi 002 or computer so that I can record beats and midi directly into PT without having to bounce. If so, how? If it is possible, will the new setup allow me to monitor the data from the MPC and Mo Phatt before I decide to record?
Stanton STR880
MPC 1000
Mo Phatt
Radium 61
Alesis M1