How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2023, 08:01 AM

Default Buss color option in 2023.12 -not working ? SOLVED =my bad

So this came up in the 2023.12 Thanks thread
But I thought I would start a specific thread so as not to distract or tie up that thread

Really like the idea of color coding Inputs, Outputs, and Busses
And If I manually set it up and save then it works If I reopen that session or session template I have set up for color coding

But I can't seem to get the Buss color coding to show up in subsequent previously recorded sessions. The Input and Output colors show up, but not the Buss colors
Now someone ( I noted on Windows) suggested that setting of the Buss colors in a session and the exporting the I/O setting and then importing them in to a subsequent session would work---but that is not working for me,,, so I do not know if its just my export -import method ? a Mac thing ? Or something off in my download of 2023.12 Or a Bug ?

Just wondering if any body on Mac has this working

Now I can do a screen recording of what I am doing or a series of screen shots
I will start with some screen shots and see how that goes.

So here I have set up a template And it works fine in the normal template workflow of renaming it for a new session It launches with all the I/O colors working Input--Output--Send & Track Busses all showing color coding

But if I open a previously recorded session I get this with only the Input and Outpus showing but no Busses showing colors

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-17-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Buss color option in 2023.12 not working ?

First here is what the correct I/O Bus tab setup looks like (this is from the Template) and everything shows in the session
As you can see the 2 Mix thru the M7 busses are all color coded and there is only one instance of them and they show up in the session

However if in that correct template session I select "Export Settings" and name it and then open any previously recorded session and select "Import Settings" and choose the new saved settings (I/O pio file )
I get this

With the original 2 Mix thru M7 busses the box is checked (green highlight ) But the colors have vanished AND there is a second exact set that the Box is unchecked and the colors are there, but the names are italicized with a (1) and they do not show in the session

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-17-2023, 08:32 AM

So the only way I can get the colors to show in the previous session is to manually re code the colors on the original 2 Mix thru M7 busses

What is happening is that in Export Settings it is deleting the colors for the original Busses adding a second italicized set with the colors from the original busses but I assume because they are italicized the are not functional witch is normal behavior in the I/O section BUT WHY ????????????????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-17-2023, 09:13 AM

I'll admit I just skimmed the above posts, but this behavior seems correct.

Busses are saved with the session. So an older session would have no color assignments associated with the busses stored inside of the session.

Inputs and Outputs are stored to the system, so they will still have their color assignments in the I/O no matter what sessions you are opening.

As for the import of IO settings. That also looks like correct behavior. You need to delete all your busses first, then import the IO. When you import your IO like you did, without deleting the existing busses, the imported ones, having matching names, come in as disabled duplicates, hence the (1) added to their names. That is avoided by first deleting all the busses, then importing the IO. When doing this, where the imported IO busses are the same as the existing ones except for the color changes, your session will still keep all the routing correctly - that is you won't wipe out your sessions routing by deleting your IO busses, as long as you import an IO with matching buss names.

So in summary:
1. Delete all the busses you want to replace/update.
2. Import your updated IO.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
I'll admit I just skimmed the above posts, but this behavior seems correct.

Busses are saved with the session. So an older session would have no color assignments associated with the busses stored inside of the session.

Inputs and Outputs are stored to the system, so they will still have their color assignments in the I/O no matter what sessions you are opening.

As for the import of IO settings. That also looks like correct behavior. You need to delete all your busses first, then import the IO. When you import your IO like you did, without deleting the existing busses, the imported ones, having matching names, come in as disabled duplicates, hence the (1) added to their names. That is avoided by first deleting all the busses, then importing the IO. When doing this, where the imported IO busses are the same as the existing ones except for the color changes, your session will still keep all the routing correctly - that is you won't wipe out your sessions routing by deleting your IO busses, as long as you import an IO with matching buss names.

So in summary:
1. Delete all the busses you want to replace/update.
2. Import your updated IO.
Hey thanks a bunch Now it makes total sense I'll give it go.
Doing only my on sessions and alway using my user templates and always having the same buss paths and names for virtually all my sessions , the busses and names were all showing up correctly - just colors were lacking
I haven't really ever used export/import I/O settings (ha that's my excuse an I'm stickin' to it )

OK just tried your suggestion and it worked thanks again (I was hoping it was my work flow and not a BUG )

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-17-2023 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Buss color option in 2023.12 -not working ? SOLVED =my bad

Another way to set Buss colours once and then import them is to use Session Import.
1. Setup and colour an AUX Buss. Then setup and colour an AUX FX track with the AUX Buss as input. I have generally been using the same Buss colour as AUX FX track colour. Save the session.
2. Open a new session and Session import the AUX FX Track. It will import the buss and track colouring.

The IO Buss Export and Import method works well too provided you are careful matching and deleting busses when working with existing sessions.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12 Win 10 Pro 22H2 Gigabyte GA-Z270 i7-7700K 32GB Ram UAD Apollo 8
Old 12-18-2023, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Buss color option in 2023.12 -not working ? SOLVED =my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2065 View Post
Another way to set Buss colours once and then import them is to use Session Import.
1. Setup and colour an AUX Buss. Then setup and colour an AUX FX track with the AUX Buss as input. I have generally been using the same Buss colour as AUX FX track colour. Save the session.
2. Open a new session and Session import the AUX FX Track. It will import the buss and track colouring.

The IO Buss Export and Import method works well too provided you are careful matching and deleting busses when working with existing sessions.
True , because I only record and mix my own sessions I always have the same Busses and paths so no issue with Import I/O settings
But if one gets sessions from other record engineers, or uses different bussing for differen types of sessions that might make things more complicated

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-18-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Hey thanks a bunch Now it makes total sense I'll give it go.
Doing only my on sessions and alway using my user templates and always having the same buss paths and names for virtually all my sessions , the busses and names were all showing up correctly - just colors were lacking
I haven't really ever used export/import I/O settings (ha that's my excuse an I'm stickin' to it )

OK just tried your suggestion and it worked thanks again (I was hoping it was my work flow and not a BUG )
Glad you got it figured out now!