Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2023, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Anyone using M3

I think this is getting off topic and let me be very clear. In no way am I blaming the OP for ANY current issues that Pro Tools has with any supported software or hardware. What I am calling the OP out for is for blaming Avid for the issues they’re having with software they chose to install an unsupported OS and computer.

This is two way street. If Avid releases software for a particular OS and that software still has issues, that’s on Avid. If a user decides to say WTH, I’ll just install this software on my brand new unsupported computer and software and then blame Avid when it doesn’t work. That’s on the user, plain and simple. There needs to be some accountability for user error and lack of judgement when it comes to this stuff. Not everything falls on the manufacturer.
Old 11-30-2023, 07:49 AM

Well I've only had minor annoyances using Pro Tools on my new M3, and they were all Sonoma related.

My main grievances are really that Pro Tools under-performs on some M3's, compared to say the M1's LOL (https://www.gearnews.com/apple-m1-pr...and-pro-tools/)

But also, Avid spending time making crap like Sketch??? Please Avid, make Pro Tools use Apple Silicon's efficiency cores, and the Media Engine, and the GPUs, etc.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:07 AM

Oh please no, spare efficiency cores for what they have been designed for.

GPU however should be used even though it was initially Mac-only feature.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:09 AM

Running an M3 Max MacBook Pro, Sonoma 14.1.1, PT 2023.9.0

No Problems at all with Pro Tools, but I can't get Eucontrol to work.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound01 View Post
Running an M3 Max MacBook Pro, Sonoma 14.1.1, PT 2023.9.0
Hi, may I ask if you have had a chance to compare the performance of the M3 Max with something like the M1 Pro? I'm looking everywhere for tests of PT on M3 Max but I can't find any, I only found generic benchmarks or other DAWs.

I'm undecided whether to buy a Mac Studio M1 Ultra or a MacBook M3 Max for Pro Tools Studio.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aals View Post
Hi, may I ask if you have had a chance to compare the performance of the M3 Max with something like the M1 Pro?
Like this?

https://www.production-expert.com/pr...20-%2012484192
Old 12-08-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthert View Post
Thanks, I knew that link, but I really need something more real case scenario before spending all that money on a MacBook Pro M3 Max, because sometimes general bench tests aren't consistent with actual performance in Pro Tools

for example, I found a video in which a person shows that with an MBP M3 Max he plays 121 tracks in which each track has a UAD Distressor and Heat inserted... well, I tried to do the same thing with my MBP M1 Pro and I managed to do almost the same thing, just 10 tracks less, while according to the various graphs and theories on the performance of the processors I should have obtained only half of the result that I instead obtained

so I'm really wondering if it's worth switching to a 16-core MBP M3 Max, which here in Italy costs a lot (at least 1000 euros more than in the USA), or whether to stay with my M1 Pro

the problem is that I seriously need more computing power, I'm ready to spend a lot if necessary, but then it really has to be useful for something

Last edited by aals; 12-08-2023 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2023, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Hi, may I ask if you have had a chance to compare the performance of the M3 Max with something like the M1 Pro? I'm looking everywhere for tests of PT on M3 Max but I can't find any, I only found generic benchmarks or other DAWs.

I'm undecided whether to buy a Mac Studio M1 Ultra or a MacBook M3 Max for Pro Tools Studio.
Quote:
Thanks, I knew that link, but I really need something more real case scenario before spending all that money on a MacBook Pro M3 Max, because sometimes general bench tests aren't consistent with actual performance in Pro Tools

for example, I found a video in which a person shows that with an MBP M3 Max he plays 121 tracks in which each track has a UAD Distressor and Heat inserted... well, I tried to do the same thing with my MBP M1 Pro and I managed to do almost the same thing, just 10 tracks less, while according to the various graphs and theories on the performance of the processors I should have obtained only half of the result that I instead obtained

so I'm really wondering if it's worth switching to a 16-core MBP M3 Max, which here in Italy costs a lot (at least 1000 euros more than in the USA), or whether to stay with my M1 Pro

the problem is that I seriously need more computing power, I'm ready to spend a lot if necessary, but then it really has to be useful for something
I am in the situation as you, about to buy a 16 MBP M3 Max and not finding much info on use with Pro Tools for large sessions.

I tried asking about MBP M2 Max users here, but that was a ****show of worthless replies...

Let me know if you find any good info, and I will do too and report back.
Old 12-16-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I tried asking about MBP M2 Max users here, but that was a ****show of worthless replies...
Those replies helped you find this thread, so I guess it was a little helpful.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:46 AM

I just spent the last week working on about 20 music sessions for a major theme park by a major composer. Massive amounts of tracks - multiple stripes of individual sections of full orchestra and choir, and all the other synth tracks as well, etc. Definitely sessions that needed to be run in HD-Native mode because the track limits of an HDX 3 system wouldn't have been enough. Mixes required up to 60+ surround stems. Tons and tons of tracks and plugins.

Had to do it from my new MacBook Pro 14" M3 Pro (while in bed recovering from an injury) and not a single hiccup!!! That was PT 2023.9 on Sonoma 14.1 too (specs in my sig).

I fully endorse M3 with PT. Sure there are a very few Sonoma related issues that are minor inconveniences (like Soundflow issues) but nothing that got in my way.

Although in hindsight I would also recommend an M2 Pro over M3 Pro since the M2 Pro has 2 more performance cores and in theory could handle even more than my M3 Pro did (but I really wanted Space Black, lol).

But my M3 Pro worked like a champ on it. Amazing computers!