How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 06:14 AM

Default 2023.12 update frequent CPU overload errors

Since updating I had frequent cpu overload errors. Increasing the buffer to the available maximum setting did NOT solve the issue.
Anybody can say MeToo?
I gave up and uninstalled pt and installed the 2023.9 version.
I hope it will solve the problem..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2023, 10:57 AM

Default Re: 2023.12 update frequent CPU overload errors

When you have a problem like this should run the standard troubleshooting steps described under "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page. It is pretty much a waste of time posting here before you do that. And when you do post here include the expected systems info and describe what troubleshooting you have tried.

Clearly many many users are running fine on 2023.12, if there were significant new CPU problems folks would be screaming about them in DUC. You can just search DUC, no need to ask.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:32 PM

The DUC is and always was the EXACT place to share problems with other users. The 2023.12 update is quite new and there is always the first user to report a problem. The "help us help you" was not helpful. ALL suggested settings are the same as in my system. The idea of this forum is to share and help other users. Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128GB, MacOS 13.5, Pro tools 2023.12 Anyway, thank you for your reply.

Last edited by Shefi; 12-15-2023 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:53 AM

Nobody cares about you reporting CPU errors. You are just one complainer against a background of no other complaints, if there was a serious issue it very likely would be visible by now.

When you have a problem, especially with CPU errors you need to troubleshoot. It is that simple. Not just check optimizations but actually do the standard documented troubleshooting steps which you still seem to not be aware of even though I pointed you at them. Many CPU errors are caused by plugins, and it is not unusual for some of those plugin caused issues to show up when upgrading Pro Tools versions. It should take around 10 minutes to trash prefs, do a first pass plugin removal test, and test as new admin. I would have at least tried those most basic troubleshooting steps before just giving up and going back to the previous version.
Old 12-16-2023, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Nobody cares about you reporting CPU errors. You are just one complainer against a background of no other complaints, if there was a serious issue it very likely would be visible by now.

When you have a problem, especially with CPU errors you need to troubleshoot. It is that simple. Not just check optimizations but actually do the standard documented troubleshooting steps which you still seem to not be aware of even though I pointed you at them. Many CPU errors are caused by plugins, and it is not unusual for some of those plugin caused issues to show up when upgrading Pro Tools versions. It should take around 10 minutes to trash prefs, do a first pass plugin removal test, and test as new admin. I would have at least tried those most basic troubleshooting steps before just giving up and going back to the previous version.

Darryl...dude what are you doing? This is the place to post issues and to say no one cares about the original posters comments is belittling. I CARE ABOUT WHAT HE HAS TO SAY. I'm on the fence as to whether I am going to do this update and his complaint is not the first one that I have seen regarding increased cpu usage with this update...albeit its been in other forums. Post like this help me and others decide if we want to do the update or wait it out for the next one.

If you are going to be helpful then do so...but don't shoot people down as if they are wasting your time by posting their issues...you didn't have to reply at all. Just because it may be invaluable to you does not mean that applies to everyone. This is not your forum but a community and there are members here that just as experienced as you are and have been here even longer than you.

EJ
Old 12-16-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefi View Post
Since updating I had frequent cpu overload errors. Increasing the buffer to the available maximum setting did NOT solve the issue.
Anybody can say MeToo?
I gave up and uninstalled pt and installed the 2023.9 version.
I hope it will solve the problem..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This post is flat out complaining. This is not asking for help, provides no useful info to anyone reading the forum, and is useless to anyone upgrading to 2923.12. It’s simply a rant and is toxic to the community that provides serious help and information on a regular basis. The link at the top is clear Help Us Help You
Old 12-16-2023, 10:43 AM

The original poster is asking if anyone else has experienced this and others have experienced higher cpu usage…just not posted here. So how is that not helpful?
It is definitely something I would want to know before updating.

Moreover, if he wants to rant a bit so what? This is not a community of fan boys like presonus S1 forum. I’ve been on this forum for 22 years and the Op has been here even longer than me. I’ve seen all sorts of posts and rants over the years…most were warranted. Even if it is a warning of something to look out for its always useful. Avid is far from perfect and having experienced updates from V5 till now, some were clearly better than others. Usually something gets better and something gets worse or breaks. This could be one of those things.

Noting a problem doesn’t alway require a solution and most times when I run into issues it’s too massive for here are requires tech support. I appreciate warnings and things to look out for.

EJ

Last edited by ejsongs; 12-16-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
This post is flat out complaining. This is not asking for help, provides no useful info to anyone reading the forum, and is useless to anyone upgrading to 2923.12. It’s simply a rant and is toxic to the community that provides serious help and information on a regular basis. The link at the top is clear Help Us Help You
I fail to see any sign of a toxic rant in the OP's post. Some of the responses to the OP in this thread though, have been toxic rants.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
The original poster is asking if anyone else has experienced this and others have experienced higher cpu usage…just not posted here. So how is that not helpful?
It is definitely something I would want to know before updating.

Moreover, if he wants to rant a bit so what? This is not a community of fan boys like presonus S1 forum. I’ve been on this forum for 22 years and the Op has been here even longer than me. I’ve seen all sorts of posts and rants over the years…most were warranted. Even if it is a warning of something to look out for its always useful. Avid is far from perfect and having experienced updates from V5 till now, some were clearly better than others. Usually something gets better and something gets worse or breaks. This could be one of those things.
I cant really believe anybody experienced in Pro Tools upgrades or troubleshooting or has been in DUC for a while needs to have the point of doing the most basic troubleshooting explained.

And point out to me how the original post is actually helpful to anybody or the OP? If they want to make progress with 2023.12 they need to, wait for it.... actually troubleshoot the problem. Wether its (likely) something specific to their system or a bug in 2023.12.

Quote:
Noting a problem doesn’t alway require a solution and most times when I run into issues it’s too massive for here are requires tech support. I appreciate warnings and things to look out for.
What has this got to do with the most basic standard troubleshooting--nothing here requires tech support, and all they would do to start with is step through standard troubleshooting.
Old 12-16-2023, 01:14 PM

Darryl,

We are all busy here. I have no desire to go thru the time of troubleshooting a new version of pt unless it has new features that I can’t live without. My sessions are huge and very cpu intensive…especially since I don’t have access to my hdx2 rig at the moment. So knowing that a new version of pt may not be able to handle the cpu load of a previous version is EXTREMELY important to me. Why this is happening isn’t as important as it is happening especially when you’ve got work to do.

It could be a single plug-in as you mentioned or not or just generally more stuff happening under the hood. There are reports that there are issues with cranesong phoenix and 2023.12. That alone could be enough to keep me from updating now. The faster session load times and the apparent fix to delay compensation of folder tracks are appealing but the cons seem to be outweighing the pros at the moment.

So if the coast is clear and easy then it makes sense to jump on board with the update but as soon as it came to light that the upgrade might require hours so troubleshooting, that’s when I pause for a moment to go thru those motions when I have the time to do so. Even the possibility of a heavier cpu load is enough to make me want to tread carefully.

That’s why the op’s is important and appreciated. His observation may be isolated or something buried in the code that no one here can fix….either way it is possibility to consider.

What is hard to understand is why would you be against a possible warning that there may be an issue with 2023.12?

EJ
Closed Thread