Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Core Audio 7.1.1 Mac Intel Fix

I use my Mbox as my main audio interfax, but i don't tend to use protools. I rely on the core audio driver. It worked on my G4 now that I upgraded to a Macbook Pro and the new version of Protool, my Mbox only works in protools, and the Core Audio driver only gives a hissing soudn in any other audio program. there have been several people complainnig about this problem, and digi has acknowleged it, but there is still no work on when we can expect a fix. Have any of you heard of when this fix is coming out for those of us that rely on the core audio driver?
Old 06-13-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Core Audio 7.1.1 Mac Intel Fix

Does it help to launch the Digi CoreAudio Manager app before launching your CoreAudio apps? This used to help with previous versions of the CAD.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:04 PM

no that approach has be tried with no avail. Thank you though slim.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:37 PM

I also am only able to use the audio in/out portion of Mbox 2 in ProTools LE 7.1.1cs1.

I cannot get audio to work in LogicPro 7.2 (this is on an intel MacBook Pro).

If I run "Digi CoreAudio Manager" [version 7.1.1cs1] -- whether before or after launching LogicPro -- the CoreAudio manager window shows:

Digidesign HW: Unsupported Device
Channels: N/A
Attached Clients: 0
Buffer Size: 512 (greyed out)
_____

Note: the Mbox 2 works fine in ProTools, and all of the front-panel lights (especially including the green USB LED) light up appropriately BEFORE running Logic and BEFORE running CoreAudio Manager.

Anyone have further info on this issue? I'll have to return the Mbox 2 if I cannot get Logic to recognize it.

Strangely, Logic does work OK with the MIDI interface portion of the Mbox 2. My Yamaha keyboard communicates bidirectionally thru the Mbox2 to both ProTools and Logic.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:07 PM

i wanted to let all know that i have been working successfully with LogicPro 7.2 on MacBook Pro (Intel Core Duo) running OS X 10.4.7, with PTLE 7.1.1cs1 (and the Core Audio driver included with that default install), in conjunction with Mbox 2 hardware -- for several days now.

I'm not sure what changed, as all i did to get it working was this: (some bits turn out not to be necessary on subsequent uses, like running PTLE before running LogicPro.)

- I shut down all apps running.

- I pulled all USB cables.

- I shut down fully and waited a few minutes.

- I started up cold, and waited several minutes at the login screen to allow all background processes to get going.

- I logged in and again waited several minutes to let all startup stuff get going.

- I plugged in the USB cable from the Mbox2 to the left-hand side USE port on the MacBook Pro -- the port closest to the power cable.

- I waited until Mbox2's USB light went green, and until the Channel 1&2 indicated lights came on a few seconds later.

- I inserted the LogicPro XSkey hardware device.

- I verified that both Mbox2 and XSkey device are visible in USB section of System Profiler.

- I ran PTLE. It sees the Mbox2 fine and uses MIDI in/out as well as audio/inout. BTW I had only a cheapo mic connect to the Channel1 'DI' input, and the 1/4 line outs connected to my amp+monitors.

- I ran LogicPro while PTLE was still running (turns out the latter is not necessary; LogicPro now runs fine on its own w/o PTLE running).

- I quit PTLE. LogicPro still worked fine.

- I quit&restarted LogicPro. Still works fine with Mbox2 for both MIDI in/out and audio in/out.

- I also verified that system sounds (beeps, alerts, iTunes, etc.) can be direct to the Mbox2 audio outs with Apple's Sound&MIDI system-preference panel.

- Later, I also verified that I can use ReasonAdapted (really ReasonLobotomised) with the Mbox2's MIDI in.

This setup continues to work across sleeps, and reboots so far. Usually I quit any apps like PTLE and/or LogicPro before sleeping. PTLE docs say it can't survive sleeps; even though I find no similar mention for LogicPro, I simply decided to 'disconnect' all client apps from the Mbox2 before sleeping, just to be safe.

If I were ever to use this during a performance or recording situation, I'd likely cold boot the Mac before connecting anything to it -- just to be safe.