Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2013, 04:16 PM

Default Two embarrasingly simple questions from a new user!

Hi guys,

I have a twenty year history with Logic Pro, and am using Pro Tools 11 for a couple of projects at the moment. I'm using PT 11 native on a Mac.

There are two operations that I haven't been able to figure out... which is embarrassing given the fact that they are both everyday processes! I have had a decent read through the PT manual and haven't been able to make sense.

The two processes I'm struggling with are:

1. Cutting/splitting clips. I have been able to work out how to move, shorten (at either end) and copy clips, but haven't yet been able to work out how to split a clip somewhere in the middle. This is done with the scissors tool on other DAWs, but I haven't found anything like this in PT.

2. Continue playing from where playback stopped. No matter what record playback mode I use, it seems that when I stop playback, and then start it again, it goes back to the beginning of the track, or of the loop markers. Often I want to go through a whole track and make little edits, so I like to play a few seconds, then stop, then continue playing from where I was up to. I'm sure this is ridiculously simple in PT, but I haven't been able to figure it out as yet!

Thanks in advance if you're able to help!

Cheers,
Mike

iMac i7 3.5GHz + RME UFX + Event Opal + Nord Stage 2 + Korg Kronos 73 + Kurzweil PC3-61 + Dave Smith Prophet 08 + Roland Juno 106 + Roland V-Drums TD12 + Yamaha U1 piano

www.thepeopledownstairs.com
Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Two embarrasingly simple questions from a new user!

1: cmd+e or edit> separate clip > at selection

2: if you have command focus on (the yellow az button top right of edit window) you can press the n key. Or press button under the pencil tool
Old 08-01-2013, 04:36 PM

Also Fab fom puremix.com has a free video on their site and youtube about pro tools key command shortcuts which goes over how pro tools does this kind of stuff and much more. Its great, has a ton of info and it's short.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post

2: if you have command focus on (the yellow az button top right of edit window) you can press the n key. Or press button under the pencil tool
Thanks! Appreciate the quick reply!

Cheers,
Mike

iMac i7 3.5GHz + RME UFX + Event Opal + Nord Stage 2 + Korg Kronos 73 + Kurzweil PC3-61 + Dave Smith Prophet 08 + Roland Juno 106 + Roland V-Drums TD12 + Yamaha U1 piano

Old 08-01-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Also Fab fom puremix.com has a free video on their site and youtube about pro tools key command shortcuts which goes over how pro tools does this kind of stuff and much more. Its great, has a ton of info and it's short.
Perfect - will give that a watch!

It is weird using a different environment to one I have become so familiar with over years - but at the moment I really quite like what I am seeing in Pro Tools... and compared to a previous experience (with PT8 from memory), it has made huge steps forward in efficiency and running large numbers of low-latency instruments and plug-ins, too.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:37 PM

Those are actually not stupid questions. When I was using PT8, both those things weren't very apparently and it was frustrating to have to dig so deep to do the simple things. There are a few other "everyday" actions that aren't so apparent through the UI, too. I was kind of hoping they'd fix those things in PT11 but it sounds like they did not. Weird.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:10 PM

Good tips so far....also, you can drop your cursor in a region, then right click and "separate"
(Right click has a lot of handy options)

And using the Smart Tool to select, with "Separation" for the hand tool is a very fast way to make edits and move portions of regions around.
Try modifying with option to copy, control to lock to time, both for copy and lock.

kasper
Old 08-02-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloop View Post
Hi guys,

2. Continue playing from where playback stopped. No matter what record playback mode I use, it seems that when I stop playback, and then start it again, it goes back to the beginning of the track, or of the loop markers. Often I want to go through a whole track and make little edits, so I like to play a few seconds, then stop, then continue playing from where I was up to. I'm sure this is ridiculously simple in PT, but I haven't been able to figure it out as yet!
Hi Mike,

The command you're looking for is called 'Insertion Follows Playback' It's the last icon on the lower set to the left of the counter, underneath the pencil tool.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
even easier, when in keyboard focus mode, just hit "B"

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 08-02-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
1. Cutting/splitting clips. I have been able to work out how to move, shorten (at either end) and copy clips, but haven't yet been able to work out how to split a clip somewhere in the middle. This is done with the scissors tool on other DAWs, but I haven't found anything like this in PT.
set selection to wherever you want and press "command+E". even more useful if you have a group of tracks selected, and the command splits all tracks at once.

Quote:
There is a user selection in the preferences. IMO, the default is something nobody wants, but hey...