Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2016, 11:49 AM

Default Pro Tools 8 vs Yosemite - Need Snow Leopard?

When I bought my iMac it came with Snow Leopard, and my Pro Tools rig (with 003 Factory control surface) from Digidesign came with Protools 8.

Then Apple convinced me to upgrade my OS to Yosemite which I now know does not support PT 8.

Is there an easy way to remedy this?

A warning of this would have been nice. A downloadable fix would be nicer.

The only solution I can think of would be to pull all my files onto an external drive, wipe my iMac hard drive and re-install Snow Leopard. How about PT 9? Will Yosemite support it and run my 003 Factory? How about PT "FIRST"?

Ideas or thoughts? Condolences?

Much thanks.

Last edited by Tonedog d' Bluescat; 02-21-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: To make more consice
Old 02-21-2016, 03:01 PM

Post Re: Pro Tools 8 vs Yosemite - Need Snow Leopard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedog d' Bluescat View Post
When I bought my iMac it came with Snow Leopard, and my Pro Tools rig (with 003 Factory control surface) from Digidesign came with Protools 8.

Then Apple convinced me to upgrade my OS to Yosemite which I now know does not support PT 8.

Is there an easy way to remedy this?
If you have a bootable backup of your Snow Leopard and Protools 8 setup, restore that backup.

Quote:
A warning of this would have been nice.
You have to do your own research. How is Protools 8 supposed to know about an OS that was released years after itself? While Mac OS will warn you about apps not being compatible, it only does so after the OS upgrade has been installed.

Quote:
A downloadable fix would be nicer.
The closest you will get to that is buying an upgrade (if one exists) to Pro Tools | Software v12 and installing it.

Quote:
How about PT 9? Will Yosemite support it and run my 003 Factory?
No.

Quote:
How about PT "FIRST"?
I have no idea, though First has its own limitations.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 vs Yosemite - Need Snow Leopard?

Thank you for your reply.

To clarify - My idea of reverting back to Snow Leopard and re-installing Pro Tools 8 is the best way to get me back to work?
Old 02-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Arrow Re: Pro Tools 8 vs Yosemite - Need Snow Leopard?

Quote:
To clarify - My idea of reverting back to Snow Leopard and re-installing Pro Tools 8 is the best way to get me back to work?
Yes.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:45 AM

Is there any chance that Pro Tools 12 will work with my 2009 iMac with a 2.8 GHz processor and GB 1067MHz memory?

If so will my 003 Factory control surface function with PT 12?

Again, thank you.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:46 PM

Arrow Re: Pro Tools 8 vs Yosemite - Need Snow Leopard?

Quote:
Is there any chance that Pro Tools 12 will work with my 2009 iMac with a 2.8 GHz processor
If that's the 27", then it has a Core i7 processor, which means there is a chance that v12 will work. As for the 003, the question is whether or not there is a driver for it that works with Yosemite or later.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 PM

It is, in fact, the 27" with the Core i7 processor. The driver that came with my 003 Factory was created before Yosemite came out so I'm sure they're incompatible.

Apple has agreed to send me a re-install disk for Snow Leopard (the original OS for my computer), along with instructions for wiping my hard drive. That means I can now re-install PT8.

However, I noticed on the Pro Tools Operating System Compatibility Chart that Pro Tools 9.0.6 is compatible with Snow Leopard 10.6.

Assuming 9 is better than 8 does it make sense for me to install PT9 once I get my old OS back?

Any thoughts?

Can I install PT8 and then look for an uploadable PT9 upgrade from AVID?

Will My 003 be compatible with PT9?

So many questions.. I do VERY MUCH appreciate everyone's help.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:56 PM

After poking around on the AVID site I see that they seem to suggest I can update for free to PT8.0 CS (whatever CS is), if I already have PT8.0 (which I have ready to install from disk).

It read: Pro Tools 8.0 CS Updates -
The following are the previous CS Updates for Pro Tools 8.0. Previous installation of Pro Tools 8.0 for Mac OS X Leopard, is required.

And, it suggests that once I have 8.0 CS installed I can, for free,update to PT 8.0.1.

And from that it seems to suggest I can upgrade to PT 8.0.1 CS2

And from that to PT 8.0.3 CS2

On to 8.0.4 CS2

Then to 8.0.5.

It seems all these updates will work with Snow Leopard and I'd guess that the most recent version of PT I can get will have the most to offer. But is also seems to suggest I need the previous version already installed in order to upgrade to the next. Does that sound right?

That's a lot of upgrading. Any chance I can go straight from 8.0 to 8.0.5?

Regarding Pro Tools MP 9 (MP9.0.5) updates on computers with Mac OS X 10.6.x (Snow Leopard)

Pro Tools MP 9 requires your Pro Tools MP 9 iLok authorization to launch.

I imagine free updates end there unless I want to pay for PT9.

Again, I bow to your inimitable wisdom.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:01 AM

Exclamation Re: Pro Tools 8 vs Yosemite - Need Snow Leopard?

Quote:
I noticed on the Pro Tools Operating System Compatibility Chart that Pro Tools 9.0.6 is compatible with Snow Leopard 10.6.

Assuming 9 is better than 8 does it make sense for me to install PT9 once I get my old OS back?

Any thoughts?
Pro Tools 9.0.5 was the last version that worked properly with Snow Leopard. 9.0.6 has issues with Snow Leopard.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
After poking around on the AVID site I see that they seem to suggest I can update for free to PT8.0 CS (whatever CS is), if I already have PT8.0 (which I have ready to install from disk).

It read: Pro Tools 8.0 CS Updates -
The following are the previous CS Updates for Pro Tools 8.0. Previous installation of Pro Tools 8.0 for Mac OS X Leopard, is required.

And, it suggests that once I have 8.0 CS installed I can, for free,update to PT 8.0.1.

And from that it seems to suggest I can upgrade to PT 8.0.1 CS2

And from that to PT 8.0.3 CS2

On to 8.0.4 CS2

Then to 8.0.5.

It seems all these updates will work with Snow Leopard and I'd guess that the most recent version of PT I can get will have the most to offer. But is also seems to suggest I need the previous version already installed in order to upgrade to the next. Does that sound right?

That's a lot of upgrading. Any chance I can go straight from 8.0 to 8.0.5?

Regarding Pro Tools MP 9 (MP9.0.5) updates on computers with Mac OS X 10.6.x (Snow Leopard)

Pro Tools MP 9 requires your Pro Tools MP 9 iLok authorization to launch.

I imagine free updates end there unless I want to pay for PT9.

Again, I bow to your inimitable wisdom.
Once you have PTLE 8.0 installed, just install 8.0.5. It contains all the preceding updates. It's just not a full installer.