How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2012, 01:01 AM

Default Pro tools HD1 advice!

Hello,

I'm looking to change my firewire setup and now pcie core card with 192 I/O are no more expensive ( between $2500 and 3000$ ) my question is: does a HD1 system will be enough for me.

My typicals productions are something like 10-15 mono tracks + 10 stereo tracks + 7-10 stereo aux input tracks.

If I understand well each accel card have a limited number of track they can handle right?

I only work at 44khz or 48khz in 24bits.

So I'm wondering if It's a good investement, I don't have the budget to buy the new hdx card (maybe in some month if avid do crossgrade hd > hdx )

Or do you think HD native is better. In my typical session I use my console to have "real time" monitoring...

So any advices are welcome if the question have been answered many time I sorry for that, I've search but not really find something...

Also a last question can you mix pcie card and pci-x in the same computer (PC of course to have both pcie and pci slot)? can you link them?

again big thanks to the community

regards

Nicolas
Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Pro tools HD1 advice!

Hi Nicolas - for what it's worth I think you should define more clearly for yourself what it is that your current system isn't doing for you. What problems / work arounds do you want to eliminate by going to this new system?

Just upgrading to ProTools HD or ProTools Native because you want to is your decision to make, but be aware that the HD hardware is not going to be supported in ProTools 11 - not a problem if you're happy staying with ProTools 10 but it's something to think about.

If it were me I'd get ProTools 10 standalone and try that for a while. You didn't say what kind of computer you have but I'd consider upgrading that as well.

ymmv

Have fun!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM

ps - I don't think you can use PCI-x and PCI-e cards at the same time.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:04 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Well to answer to some question.
Since the last week I was using an IMAC 27 with core I7 2.93ghz + A digi002 and a rosetta 200 (connected for monitoring and 2 tracks tracking) also have a focusrite octopre platinum with da card and a focusrite 428 preamp.

Why I want to change it's because I'm bored about some firewire issues... Sometimes work great and other time don't... (I have done all the optimisation needed).

I want something really really stable!

Also With firewire I'm very limited in input/output, I would love something with the possibility to have more I/O at the same time ( I will also have from a friend a mix console with 32 channel, so I would like to use them... ). even If I don't need all that tracks now I will in a next future.

Also you're right about the fact that HD1 can't evolve to ptHD11, at the same time I'm still using PT9. But it can be frustated maybe to not have the choice to upgrade.

An other conserne is latency. This is why I was looking for pro tools HD1, but I have found that HD native has a really low latency. Did some of you test it? can you do real time monitoring ?

Also What is exactly the power of an HD1 card? I mean how many plugins can you use at the same time with the dsp ? Today computer are really powerfull ( 8-12 core mac pro, or even pc ... ) . does it worth it to have some dsp card like HD1 (or maybe HDX). Maybe I'm missing some point and feel free to show me the light (lol)

Anyway thanks for your time
Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 PM

I think a lot of your firewire issues will go away if you get rid of the 002R.

If you get something with ADAT I/O then you can use that to get more I/O from sources like the Behringer ADA8000.

Maybe try renting a new interface and see how you like it? There's lots to choose from.

What exactly is it about latency that's bothering you? What have you noticed?

Anyhoo - if you want to try out ProTools HD then you'll probably end up doing that. For what it's worth, based on what you've said here, I think you can get where you want to go without spending as much money.

Hope some of that helps,
dave
Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but you say you are using an iMac? You can't install PCI cards in an iMac. You would need to change to a Mac Pro to use HD.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:44 AM

well I was using an imac, I just sold it...

So I will also buy a new computer, I have different option:

-An Imac with thunderbolt and a upcoming chassis (not my favourite option)
-a mac pro 8 core
-a PC
Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 AM

ahhhh ok, now it makes sense :)

Personally I would go with the Mac Pro, it's easier to expand when you need/want to and you can add more internal drives which are better for audio recording.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 AM

I was one of those early on that when HD NATIVE was announced, I just wasn't buying into it. My Pro Tools rep knew this and pulled me aside at a popular trade-show to show me a live demo on the system with a full band locked to picture-----he had my attention and from that point I realized, it really is a great system. The thing is that an HD TDM system is now obsolete---not because the HDX is significantly more powerful (which it is) but because TDM is going away being replaced by AAX DSP. The issue with an HD1 is that TDM processing v/s RTAS were quite different both in how the plugins were accessed and sonic performance. Now on the HDX system, they are the same quality processing---they simply use either the host CPU or the DSP on the card. That being said with a powerful MacPro, you might find that an HD NATIVE might be just what you're looking for if you're coming from the LE world.

Some of my clients found that upgrading from an HD Accel system to the HDX made more sense while others to the HD NATIVE made more sense, it really comes down to what YOU need to do. Based on what I've read so far, HD NATIVE is worth a seriously look. The latency on HD NATIVE is quite amazing, but as to how much "real-time" monitoring you have is due to the plugins you're using. Let me put it this way..... if you're coming from LE, you'll NOT be disappointed. However if you were coming from HD TDM already, you might be a little bit---DEPENDING entirely upon how you track with and use the system.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 AM

I agree with Brad, and I will offer another option that's new. The UA Apollo interface. Install the Thunderbolt option card and it should make for a really nice setup

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave