Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2022, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Grouping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymeltzer View Post
Thousands and thousands of clips. Imagine 1-3 edits between every sentence or word of someone speaking nonstop for 20 hours. I can see how the nesting would tax the system, was curious what others' experience was regarding this. Thanks.
Yes, I concur. I edit lots of dialog/voiceover. Long files that turn into lots of clips. As there becomes a greater number of auto-generated clips, sometimes there does develop some hanging and lagging on some operations. Sometimes it does seem to be drive related.

I recently moved to a 2020 iMac from a 2013 MacPro, and that old machine had some wear! It was freezing a few times a day, screen would just get stuck and I'd have to force restart. Half the other time it would boil over in some way and I knew I had to prompt a restart. I had to stop making electronic music on the trash can, it would freeze right away pretty much.

However, I could still get away with dialog editing thankfully, as that pays the bills. But now on this spiffy iMac, I feel uninhibited again. That said, I notice some weird pausing and temporary hangs in nearly the same spots as my trash can exhibited. The pauses are shorter duration, but still present.

Such things as the final Audiosuite Gain > Entire Selection > Individual Files would hang for 20-30 seconds on the trash can, and on this iMac I still see a spinning ball at times, but for like, a second. This happens with a greater number of clips, for sure.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //