Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2003, 10:07 AM

Default Two part Harmony

What do you think about the deal from Digi and Blue with the combination of Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro and the Baby Bottle for $999.

Is it a worthy combi?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Two part Harmony

Well, I'm going to give you my honest opinion without any sort of sales stuff involved from a purely sound and recording point of view.

1. I don't really care for the Baby Bottle Mic
2. Focusrite's Platinum Series is sort of like a consumer grade line of recording products (they are trying to hit a price point and these are not even close to the vintage Focusrite, Neve designed, products of yesteryear).

That being said, depending on your application, you may find that you really love this bundle. It's all subjective to be honest. Everyone hears/uses products differently.

If money is tight and you can only afford a max of $1k then yes, this will work very nicely. However, if you have more money to spend and really want a wonderful vocal (and other things) sound I would go with two products.

1. Neumann U87ai SetZ - Microphone Package (runs around $2k and will be wonderful for a wide variety of applications, numero uno being vocals)

2. Amek/Neve Channel In A Box (this is a channel strip in a 1U rack unit off of the 9098i console and it has mic/line pre, filters, eq, compression, and rotary output faders (with the ability to hookup your own 10k faders through an xlr interface). Honestly, if you can't dial in the sound you are looking for with this puppy you'll be hard pressed to do it at all.

Additionally, instead of the CIB (channel in a box) you could look at the Avalon AD2022, AD2044, and AD2055 to build yourself a pure ClassA dual mono (2 channels) channel strip. This would give you pre, eq, and compression.

If you'd rather go with a Tube mic (although I would strongly suggest the Neumann U87ai as the number one purchase if you don't already own one (or 4 for that matter) you could look into either the Neumann M149 or go with a Rode NTClassic (I use this one all the time).

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Two part Harmony

I already have a pair of KM-184 with the Millenia HV-3B for classical,choir, piano or general and neutral sound pick-up. I'm satisfied with this setup (for this purpose) but I want to have a mono setup for vocal. So this is why my curiosity was for this combo.

Thanks for the reply. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]