Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Avid Answer Our 5 Questions On Pro Tools 10 & HDX - Is This Enough?

I agree Max is keeping his cool whilst being in a terrible position having to skate around such a huge amount of bad feeling that's blown up.

Despite these answers, I'm afraid the point remains that PT 10 is actually a pretty minor update for insane upgrade prices at a time when all the other software guys are slashing prices. To put it in perspective, Logic did their major full 64bit update (including all plug ins and instruments) as a free interim release. They kept 32 bit 3rd party AU plugs working via a bridge which (contrary to the propaganda) Avid could have done with RTAS. Not ideal but much better than shutting it out all together as Avid are saying when they finally do go 64bit.

I do have PT 10 as I was able to qualify for a free update and it's an OK update if not particularly exciting. However there is no way they should be asking more than around $99 for it in this day and age.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post
they answered clearly? i must have missed that clarity. all i got from their answers was, we're still great...keep buying our stuff. no actual info what so ever! it was pointless.

marco
Yup.. That is WHAT I got too...

A VERY clear answer indeed. Did it meet my expectations.. NO.

But the answers were clear as crystal
Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
25, Not wishing to start a war here, but it all depends on what you define as 'answers'.

The questions were pretty specific, yet the answers were not.. there was no real information in them and instead if directly answering what was asked, the answer went back to the same 'market-speak' we've heard from the beginning.. (not to mention being disingenuous).

Avid is taking a stance of non-action either in hopes that it will all go away or that they really do not know what to do about this roll-out.

That's my opinion, (and apparently quite a few others).

Also, your jumping on Zed was out of line... are you that sensitive? seriously.. They're big-boys at Avid and can take care of themselves I'm sure..
I KNOW what you're saying and I understand where you're coming from.

Let me try to explain what I mean by 'Clear Answers'

Someone asks you:

' so buddy, how much is your monthly salary'

He starts :

'Well, I dont complain - I'm doing alright and by the way, how is your wife?'

This person has given you a VERY clear answer... And it is 'Bud Off, Buddy' you're sticking your nose into affairs that shouldn't concern you so...

Now, you might think that a clear answer would have been --- '$14,000'...

which it would have been BUT that other answer (The diplomatic one) was JUST as clear.. Only you had to READ between the lines to comprehend the meaning...

Reading AVID's replies are VERY clear to me. And that is their good right, whether I agree or not... 'WE THINK WE ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING'
Old 11-04-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyskull View Post
Sorry Max, I appreciate things are tricky, but your answers are just the same shinfo we've been hearing for the last week, skating around the topic whilst trying to give us the same corporate spiel that's come from the top.

Have you considered a career in politics?
I think Max has been very clear without sliding about on a pair of hockey skates.

I get the feeling that folks will think that Max is being unclear in his answers until he says - OK - you can get the upgrade for $29

There is a difference between - A clear answer and an answer that pleases the "questioneer"
Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
I have the full version of Structure, and have thought about upgrade to the instrument expansion pack. Will Structure, Strike and Velvet (et al) be ported into a 64bit format for use with PT11 (or whichever version is 64 bit), or are they EOL (end of life) now?
Good question. I have invested in the expansion pack and are very concerned about if it will be converted or put to end of life.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I get the feeling that folks will think that Max is being unclear in his answers until he says - OK - you can get the upgrade for $29
Hi,

Nope, just comparative to every other upgrade price!! thats all

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhall View Post
Good question. I have invested in the expansion pack and are very concerned about if it will be converted or put to end of life.
I'd roll over and kick if IEP was discontinued. Most likey IEP 64 bit will be released as a standard upgrade loaded with goodies and new libraries. Can't wait to use Structure 64 bit.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
I'd roll over and kick if IEP was discontinued. Most likey IEP 64 bit will be released as a standard upgrade loaded with goodies and new libraries. Can't wait to use Structure 64 bit.
I really hope so but I wish Avid could state out a roadmap or a 'letter of intent' of future releases. As now it's very confusing. I dont know if I should jump of next station or remain on the PT10/11 train....
Old 11-04-2011, 06:42 AM

there's no way that the IEP will be discontinued. the question is how much will avid charge for the upgrade? free is not gonna happen.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
Avid Standard Support Plan for $599 -

Now, back to the Avid Standard Support plan....we wanted fix the problem and create an opportunity for you to get on this retroactively.

So here’s the deal: Any customer who currently owns Pro Tools HD 9 is eligible to purchase the Standard Avid Support Plan for $599 until the end of the year. Once you purchase this from your dealer, you will be eligible to receive your Pro Tools HD 10 upgrade as part of the program. You will also have 12 months of maintenance, and any future upgrades within the 12 months will be included...
Au contraire...

Show me where Max says a future upgrade within the twelve month support contract would not include any transitional upgrades made to the IEP.
Closed Thread