Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2001, 03:14 PM

Default Is this a feature that was remove??????

Or should I say why???

I found this here on the WEB ANSWERS database
It was last modified in 97.
How do I map a continuous controller (MIDI Fader, Fader Master, Keyboard Mod Wheel, etc.) to a Pro Tools Volume or Pan Fader.
1) Hold down the Control key and click on the relevant slider (the fader will turn green).
2) Send the controller (move the MIDI Fader or slider) and the Pro Tools fader will 'learn' it

[This message has been edited by JROB6716 (edited April 22, 2001).]
Old 04-23-2001, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Is this a feature that was remove??????

That kind of sucks I guess. It is a liitle difficult to program my mixer to corresponde with those other profiles.

Thanks for the info anyhow.

Old 04-25-2001, 08:44 AM

Otis is right that it was removed when the automation system was introduced in...was it version 4?

The only way around this - which isn't a way around it, just a partial solution - is to map whatever controller you're using to JLCooper CS-10 commands. It's in the manual, or at least it used to be. Unfortunately the CS-10 Profile is very limited, so for example you can't just use a MIDI control pedal to control some plug-in parameter.

I personally would vote for an open MIDI profile for PT, one that's bi-directional. Right now mixers like the Panasonic DA7 have to emulate a HUI to work (actually the 02R uses the P&G belt controller), and that's not something we laymen can just up and do.

The problem is that the audio toy market is so hotly contested, and everyone would rather we buy their controllers than someone else's, all things being equal thank you very much.

In many ways the competition is good for us. In other ways it's unfortunate. For example, a friend of mine works with a film composer whose local luxury villa/studio (he uses it when he's in town and rents it out the rest of the time) is tearing out their SSL in favor of the Pro Tools rigs they use. They'd love to be able to use ProControl; trouble is, they use Digital Performer as a front end rather than PT (because it's more of a composition program).
Old 04-25-2001, 08:48 AM

Just to be clear, ProControl and Control|24 use Ethernet rather than MIDI, but the point still stands. It would be great if all the mappings were public so you could use whatever you wanted with whatever you wanted.

Then again, I don't have a big company to play with or any stockholders to please...
Old 04-25-2001, 09:11 PM

This is an outrage. This is a complete disgrace. If I buy the nice $11000 controls surface, I get a whole 8 faders and a control section, and for another 7 grand I get another 8 faders. yeah !!!!! It seems with digi that they offer so little for the price that we pay. The procontrol 24 offers a bit more I must say and is a little more reasonable. But come Digi, give people a choice!!! Damn it!!!!!