Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Default slate digital drum replacement

Anyone had any experience with the new digital replacer from Slate? Currently no reviews to speak of outside of youtube ads by Steven Slate and company![/I]
Old 12-31-2010, 02:52 PM

Default Re: slate digital drum replacement

I use it, and it works very well. I previously used drumagogg, but found the slate stuff to be better in terms of phase alignment and features.

I really like how you can change the sound envelope in the slate trigger too.

Quite often I will duplicate my Tom tracks for the trigger software, then make the triggered drums have a fast attack, with little to no sustain and release. The I'll mix this with the original Tom tracks if I'm struggling to get them to pop etc.

Very versatile, but easy to go overboard with.

I'm about to expand mine to the platinum version for some extra samples.
- Yamaha HS80M
- Axiom Pro 49
- 500GB Sarotech Hardbox external HDD plugged through express card, FW800
- Waves Gold bundle, L3-16, Eddie Kramer
- 2 x Coles 4038, Royer 121, 2 x Shinybox MXL, 4 x SM57, 3 x SM58, AKG D112, SM81, Shure 16A, sE 2000, 3 x Audix D2
Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Thanks for info, our band records all drums live in studio and I plan on replacing the kick and snare if needed.....so overheads and toms work good also? Also can you use it for multiple tracks....i.e. one at a time after the fact during mixing and editing?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Slate Pro Audio & Slate Digital

Hi Tommy. There have been many magazine reviews on TRIGGER, including Computer Music, Sound On Sound, Electronic Musician, Tape Op, Mix, and Audio Newsroom. You can read these reviews at www.slatedigital.com/reviews

Trigger also won Auxiliary Plugin Of The Year in Electronic Musician's editor's choice awards in this month's EM.

But you should try the demo and see what you think!

Steven
Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 AM

Toms work well. I often find myself replacing toms entirely if there is too much bleed etc. Never done overheads, and not sure I would. To me the life of live drums comes from your overheads.

For the price.....I skipped the demo and just bought it.
- Yamaha HS80M
- Axiom Pro 49
- 500GB Sarotech Hardbox external HDD plugged through express card, FW800
- Waves Gold bundle, L3-16, Eddie Kramer
- 2 x Coles 4038, Royer 121, 2 x Shinybox MXL, 4 x SM57, 3 x SM58, AKG D112, SM81, Shure 16A, sE 2000, 3 x Audix D2
Old 01-09-2011, 11:55 PM

hi tommy,
ya, replaced drum rehab with trigger;
working solid; even with ghost notes,
flams, and builds.

only dealbreaker for me
(hey steve, winky!)
is, if you have a home studio
in addition to your main one,
it won't link the samples...
(which slate ex does, curiously)
so transferring work between systems
becomes a grind.

b.o.l.
e
Old 01-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Talking Re: slate digital drum replacement

Hey thanks everybody.......I took the plunge,got it yesterday and it's up and runnin. Works great and easier to use then most new programs. Has great "getting started" file, so will be tinkering away for many hours. Already gone back to old drum sessions, when we were trying to get a good "sound", and their sounding better already. So many drum samples have to go thru them all first(got platinum) and tweak but again thanks for all the info.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Slate Pro Audio & Slate Digital

We are aware of the issue of Trigger demanding exact file paths for its samples (hence having to manually relink them if you move to a new studio that has the samples folder on a different drive)..

Until the fix.. if you are the owner of the multiple systems.. always keep the samples folder on desktop.

If anyone has any problems, feel free to contact our support www.slatedigital.com/support or 323 656 2050 x1, and I'm at [email protected].. since NAMM, I'm currently backed up by about three to four days on emails.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Guys,

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly, but I wondered if any other experienced Trigger users out there would check this out for me. Here's an email I just dropped off over at the Slate helpdesk, but maybe some independent corroboration would be helpful.

Quote:
Hi,

Just wanted to check if you guys are aware of this scenario. If I want to use Trigger in midi mode ie: playing Trigger from a midi track in ProTools, Trigger no longer behaves properly according to the rules of ADC. I mean that if I use it as a normal drum triggering plug on an aux track with an input bus assigned to feed it from the original drum to be triggered, it seems to report to and respond to ADC correctly, but if I disable an active input to the aux and therefore cut the ADC report by about 2/3rds, (say from 1400 samples to more like 400 samples, which is a good thing as I'm always working hard to minimise total system delay for all sorts of obvious reasons) the audio is being triggered early by the total amount of ADC delay across the whole system ie: the midi track itself doesn't get corrected because whichever track it is feeding is supposed to be delayed by the total ADC therefore lining everything up correctly. I can prove this by loading the same sample into Trigger and Structure and the Structure output is properly ADC corrected whilst the Trigger instantiation is not (early by 400 samples).

If you're not aware of this, let me know and I'll post you some test files. Or try using a plug that reports a really long ADC delay to the system and then trigger Trigger with a midi track and see what you get. ProTools V8.1cs2

Thoughts.
I'm on PT V8.1cs2 and Trigger 1.64. Try all combinations of disabling the delay reporting on the aux that has Trigger. If I disable the delay reporting on both the Structure track and the Trigger track, they both play perfectly against each other. If I only disable the delay reporting on Trigger (ie: without an active input it's about 400 samples on my system) and leave the Structure to report (only a measly 10 samples) they straight away go all phasey, but when I actually play back my session, Structure is corrected for by ADC as expected, but Trigger is ahead by the total system delay.

Cheers

Steve Bush