Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 07:37 PM

Default Help Please! Motherboard upgrade? for 001

Hey guys- I have been researching exactly what I want to buy for my last upgrade for my 001 setup. I have been extremely happy with my 001 setup, but I would really like to upgrade my computer power.

I have researched here on the DUC, and narrowed down all of my parts I want to purchase. The main problem I have run into, is that I wanted to get the ASUS A8V motherboard, and nobody seems to have it. I was going to purchase the Athlon 64 3700 cpu, and a new video card and plop them in this board.

I was wondering if anyone is working the ASUS A8n SLI DELUXE mobo with my setup? It has onboard video (because there is no AGP slot) and three pci slots, so I could still use my digi 001 card. I just want to build a setup purely for audio. Please let me know if you have any alternatives as far as MOBO's go, or if the one ASUS SLI, I mentioned will work. I have always used ASUS, so I am a bit vague in that area.

Feel free to also blast me for using an 001. haha. I promise you would drool over my gear setup. I just can't keep up with the technology changes, and just want to keep on recording with my trusty 001. Thanks for the help peeps.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Help Please! Motherboard upgrade? for 001

i just had the exact same problem concerning my 001. i ended up getting an a8v deluxe off of ebay. its on its way now. i thought about the a8n but allen recommended the a8v. i got an agp version so i can use my curent graphics card but i think there are also pcie graphics versions. if you purchase a board, try to get one that is revision 2 (this revision supports amd x2 dual core processors if you would like to get one in the future)

and yeah the digi 001 works just fine for me tooo.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:18 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131033

ASUS A8V-E SE Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard

This is the mobo I just used for my 001 and it works great. Looks like it is out of stock at newegg though. I love my 001 and I'm still struggling to get my 002R to work without buffer errors of at all below 256 buffer.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:04 PM

Tyler and Fox- thanks for your help guys. I was all caught up with the allure of the 002 and the upgrades. I had to ask myself,"what is wrong with my 001 setup?..nothing." So, I have been looking to upgrade the setup for my mom's studio. We are building a true to life..real studio. I cannot wait to get the thing finished.

Fox- I think I will preorder that board or at least get on a list for ordering. Is the Athlon 64 cpu the best I can get for that board, or do you suggest another. It looks like it supports a few different cpu's. Also, which video card were you using?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:26 PM

How about running this cpu for a Digi 001 super setup. It will work on the forementioned MOBO. The AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 San Diego 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor. I could have a smoking system. And for $199 bucks, you also get a free gift. Like a 512mb stick of Corsair RAM. That sounds like a sweet deal to me.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:39 PM

This Video Card

This AMD X2

This Memory

You will need to do the fix, task manager, set affinity, disable one of the processors with this chip.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:15 PM

Fox- thanks much for the links. I was wondering why I would want to go dual-core, if I'm going to be disabling one? I'm a bit lost in this area, so excuse my ignorance. I have to catch up with all this new technology. haha.

I was definitely looking at that video card and the RAM for sure. I think I saw a very nice Radeon card that uses the ATI chip, that would work extremely well for PT. No PC gaming for me. Just music. Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:34 PM

just so you know, the a8v-e with the k8t890 doesnt support AMD X2 processors.

http://www.behardware.com/news/7608/...mpatibles.html

even though you have the 001 and cant use two processors, your 002 will support dual and if you are buying a new board you might as well get one that is compatible with dual core.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:28 AM

Tyler- evrything you said makes perfect sense. Fox in this post said that he has used that board and got it to work great with an 001 using the x2 dual core. I guess you have to go into processes in task manager and disable one of the processors.

First, I really am planning to be using my Digi 001 for a while to come. I think I am going to skip the Digi 002 all together and wait to see what my needs are for the future. In this case, I will probably be upgrading my whole computer setup for the future Digi system.

Lastly, for now, if I were to stay single core....which CPU would you go with to work with the A8V SE board. I know you got the Deluxe off of EBAY, but I really just want to get the A8V SE board and get a cpu that will work solidly. I not one of those people that needs to run the D-Verb test to validate my system. I have to talk to Fox more in depth to see exactly how well his A8v SE board was working with the Dual Core x2 6400 cpu. Thanks for all of your help up to this point. I'm in the upgrade blues again. haha. Takes me back to my first day with ProTools. I have learned a lot though.

Peace brother.