Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 PM

Default Re: A Little Bit Underwhelmed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sumich View Post
Sorry Dism, just trying to give you an Avid engineer's perspective. I wish I could answer questions about $$$, but alas, I cannot.

Of course.

And it's not to say that $300 is necessarily an unfair price, it's simply that those of us who bought PT9 are paying more than those who waited. Customer appreciation is always... appreciated.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 PM

For $99 I would have jumped on this, but for me, PT9 works nicely and $299 is out of the question. PT8 -> PT9 was only $250 and I feel like that was a far bigger bang for my buck, at least for what my limited needs are. This will be the first version of pro tools I will skip since 7.1
Old 10-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin7b5 View Post
For $99 I would have jumped on this, but for me, PT9 works nicely and $299 is out of the question. PT8 -> PT9 was only $250 and I feel like that was a far bigger bang for my buck, at least for what my limited needs are. This will be the first version of pro tools I will skip since 7.1
For what is being offered I think the various upgrade pricing is 2-3x what many would expect to pay, and unless you want/need to jump to HDX there is really no "headliner" feature IMHO like hardware independence was for Pro Tools 9 (which also benefited some HD users who wanted to use a smaller system at times). Sure the features are nice for larger post environments or similar for many other people it will be a definite pass, and a maybe a bitter taste in their mouth.

I'll be passing on this upgrade unless Avid comes out with an aggressive discount or upgrade repricing, and expect many others will pass as well. Maybe there is enough pent up demand for HD TDM card upgrades to HDX to keep Avid's revenues healthy. (And I'll admit to being surprised Avid is willing to start with another whole generation of DSP). Software only upgrades to Pro Tools 10 may tank given these prices, not sure how visible that will be in their overall revenue.

Oh well what does Apple Logic and Reaper go for again? 64 bit already and no plugins about to be ripped and needing to be replaced.

Darryl
Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Very mixed feelings. I really love the results I have gotten with my 002R through the various upgrades from 6 through 8. I was just about to get v9 but figured there would be a v10 before I started my next project. Was hoping for 5.1 mixing (just for fun). Don't need it for doing video and don't want to spend $2k to for all the extra stuff. I understand there are a lot of priorities (I work for a software company), so maybe 5.1 will come along in the future.

The $500 tag for "crossgrade" has me thinking about other options. I've had problems with v8 in the last year (after going to 8.0.4 or 8.0.5) where I get terrible digital distortion that corrupts the previously fine recorded tracks (even listening to them outside PT). Anyway, I am not sure I can justify a gamble of spending $500 and still having problems. Not sure what other option there is right now. I'm looking at a big investment regardless.

Like I said, I like the results I have gotten, and I definitely want to continue recording. <big sigh>
Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 PM

Very underwhelmed to be honest.

I thought with PT9 that we were entering a new era of openness, and a more level feature-set. Now we're further back, with each level of user having different pros and cons:

PT10 - $299 upgrade (IMHO ~$200 too much) - no ram disk streaming.
PT10 + CPTK - $299 upgrade - 64 more tracks and ram disk streaming.
PT10HD Native - $999 upgrade(!!! What are AVID thinking?)
PT10HD TDM/HDX - $999 upgrade.

The scary thing is, if they want this much for a very interim upgrade, how much will they want for 64bit and track freeze?

I've already switched to writing in Logic 9, as the VI processing is much more efficient. If Apple can make some workflow improvements in Logic X, then I may ditch PT altogether.

I'd urge Avid to rethink.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 PM

The FAQ says it all.
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=419131

Avid is trying to be fair to their top-notch patrons who have invested tens of thousands of u.s. dollars and will be able to squeeze one more year out of their TDM systems. Ditto with Mbox 2 and others, although that's not as much dough. And it seems like RTAS could be flying out the door, too.

Publicizing their game plan is a lot better than abruptly dropping the ball, like Apple did with FCPX (hopefully Tim Cook will open up more on Apple's intent).

Conversely, it'll be hard to avoid buying PT10 depending on operating system, especially Lion. A few more crucial revisions of Lion might not run PT9 anymore.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqcoon View Post
Conversely, it'll be hard to avoid buying PT10 depending on operating system, especially Lion. A few more crucial revisions of Lion might not run PT9 anymore.
PT9 will get further Lion support. How much... I guess we'll see. PT8 did live to see 10.6.8.

What is nice, though... PT10 doesn't force a Lion upgrade, like PT9 did with Snow Leopard.

D

Old 10-20-2011, 11:31 PM

1. Great work to all the engineers. These actually are significant & very useful changes — clip gain, real time fades, new disk scheduler. Thanks for making these nice improvements.

2. $299 is too high an upgrade price. I agree with the chorus who paid $250 in the last year to upgrade to PT9. The PT9 upgrade price made sense to me, as essentially we're decoupling our software & hardware purchases, and therefore Avid's not automatically getting money from Mbox sales simultaneously. But these changes, nice as they are, are just not compelling enough for me to drop $300 only 9 months after that $250.

Some features I'm not clear on (perhaps these will tip the scales?):
* Low latency monitoring for Core Audio devices — how does this work? What are the specifics? Since switching to Apogee hardware, I've been annoyed by the input monitoring situation. (E.g. if I'm using the interface's no-latency hardware monitoring, & need to hear the track I'm punching into, I end up hearing both my direct monitor & the latent PT monitor.) I'd *love* for PT not monitor the input. This feature would entice me to buy PTX.

* Is the 16000 sample ADC HD only, or not? I've seen both answers, and the presentation made it sound like an "LE" feature as well.

* The presenter said sessions will sound identical on LE & HD. Does that mean Heat will now be an AAX plugin, available to LE?

I'm actually looking to justify upgrading. But so far, it doesn't make sense.

~peter in oakland
Old 10-20-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
* Is the 16000 sample ADC HD only, or not? I've seen both answers, and the presentation made it sound like an "LE" feature as well.

* The presenter said sessions will sound identical on LE & HD. Does that mean Heat will now be an AAX plugin, available to LE?

I'm actually looking to justify upgrading. But so far, it doesn't make sense.

~peter in oakland
16k ADC is not exclusive to HD or CPTK. It will not, however, work on TDM systems.

I would also like to know if Heat will be made available through AAX (but I wouldn't count on it, since it's not a plugin!).

D

Old 10-21-2011, 06:08 AM

another point we are failing to realize is, pt10 session cnat work in older version of pt. . . whos idea was that?