Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Recording my bands demo on Digi 001 for the very first time!

Hey everyone!

I'm a total beginner who's planning on recording my bands demo.
I have a digi 001 and i think maybe I'm up to 6.4.
I have a Mac G4 with at least 512mb of ram and plenty of hard drive space.
Event 20/20 speakers too!

I have some decent mics and that's pretty much it.

I have no idea where to start.
Some tips would be great!
thanks,
Nica
Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Recording my bands demo on Digi 001 for the very first t

Nica,
Can you give us some more specifics as to what you are looking for? Is all of your gear hooked up and working? Have you started working with the ProTools software yet? Are you looking for help with mic placement and things like that? Or are you looking for info more along the lines of setting up sessions inside the software? All of the above? Sorry to answer your request with questions but it will help get us (and you) started.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 AM

Ok, shooting from the hip (forgive me if you already know some of this stuff)

Know how to use/place your microphones (right mic for the right job, for the best results).

Have fun with it.

Backup your work.

Have fun.

If HD space isn't too much of a concern, don't be afraid to do however many multiple takes to get it right (you can always comp later).

Have fun.

Communication, inspiration, motivation, and support toward your band (more of a producer's role).

If recording a song all the way through (can be challenging) isn't working, take it in chunks (verse, chorus, fills, etc). Put it together afterward.

Consider the time it will take to complete a song (may take a while, could be done in 3 takes, etc). Adjust for that.

Recording time isn't rehearsal. Rehearsal is for rehearsal. hahahaha (maybe this is just funny to me, being that I love to procrastinate)

Know what versions of programs you have, and what your computer's capabilities are (RAM, etc), will help greatly in pointing you in a more direct manner. Instead of generalizing like this.

Use a pop filter for vocals. Don't have one? Make one!

If you have neighbors (are you doing this at home?), warn them ahead of time. (again, maybe this is just funny to me)

Oh, and have fun.

This forum is chock FULL of people with infinitely more (and better) advice than what I can share. Best of luck!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Recording my bands demo on Digi 001 for the very first time!

I would say one of the best things I've learned about working with ProTools is to make a session template as a starting point for any new session. This template gets you up and running very quickly so you're not wasting precious creative CPU cycles on adding and naming tracks, assigning inputs, etc etc...

On your older version of ProTools you be a little more limited on what you can have in your template (no instrument tracks for example) but go here:

DIGI videos

At the bottom of the page is the Accelerated Videos section. There is info in there about making a template as well as a bunch of other stuff. Much of the contect of these videos is touting (selling) the newer features of Protools, but there is still great stuff in there...

But be careful.. You might start wanting a newer rig so you can play with the new toys...
Old 04-23-2008, 12:18 PM

thanks to everyone for replying.
yes. i was too vague.

i will take everything out of the box hook everything up and then come back to y'all with exact specs and whatnot!

-n
Old 04-24-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Know how to use/place your microphones (right mic for the right job, for the best results).

To expand on this a bit...

Getting the sounds you want in tracking is the key to a successful recording. Mic choice is important, but nowhere near as important as placement. Take the time to get the sounds you want in tracking, and you won't waste time trying to apply sonic band-aids in mix with plug-ins.

On that note I'll just say that knowing what sounds you need for a particular mix comes with experience, and having an idea what the finished product should sound like. The song is king, and individual instrument sounds are totally subservient to the song as a whole. This approach may put you at odds with certain players at times, but it's a called a mix for a reason. If you try to make everything big the mix as a whole is highly likely to sound very small.

If you're anything like most of us who engage in this craft you will likely hate your previous work. Accept this, learn from the experience, and move on to the next project. Your sanity depends on it.

This pertains strictly to audio engineering. Arrangement/instrumentation is a whole 'nother can-o-worms that should be finalized in pre-production.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 PM

This place gave me a start with a lot of different ideas. Give it a shot!
Gear: UA 6176, UA 2-1176, Daking IV, Presonus ADL-600, 2 GAP PRE73
Other Software: Ableton 8, Reason 4, Sibelius 6
Plugs: Mercury Bundle, Full UA
Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
If you're anything like most of us who engage in this craft you will likely hate your previous work. Accept this, learn from the experience, and move on to the next project. Your sanity depends on it.
Amen, good sir.