Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 AM

Default Recording muted Trumpet?

HI all,

I've got a session in a couple of days time recording a trumpet. It's likely that the trumpet will be muted.

What's the best way to record trumpet?

Here's my questions:
  • Should recording 'normal' trumpet and 'muted' trumpet have different mic positions?
  • Is a 'Fig 8' Ribbon mic an obvious choice?
  • Is a large reflective room (no carpet except for small rug for player to stand on) better that a small 'dead' room?
  • Should the mic be 'On Axis' or 'Off Axis'?
  • Mic distance? 1 to 3 feet?

My mic choices are: 2 x AKG C1000, 2 x SE1A, AT4033, GAP R1 MKII
I have an SE 'reflection filter' - should I 'protect' the back of the Fig8 ribbon mic or leave it open for the 'room/kitchen' sound?
My pre amp is a P-Solo (non-ribbon version) that I hope will have enough gain for the R1 MKII if the Grace M101 I've ordered doesn't arrive in the next 48 hours.....

I have a 'box room' at home where I record but am thinking of using the kitchen to record the trumpet as it is a more open space and has more reflective surfaces? Or am I better off going for 'dry and dead' and adding reverb later? (The same applies for using the SE reflection filter...)

I know that there's usually never 'one way' - but I get the feeling that recording a trumpet is not as simple as recording many other instruments if you want good results.

At the moment I'm thinking: R1 MKII Ribbon Mic, two feet away, a little higher than the trumpet pointing down (off axis), in a kitchen, small rug/mat on floor for player to stand on.

Any advice from people who have successfully recorded trumpet/muted trumpet would be appreciated.

Thanks

*****************Update**********************

All the info I need is here: http://www.emusician.com/news/0766/brass-tactics/145989

and I've realised that the vast amount of DUC members have never recorded a trumpet.........

Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Recording muted Trumpet?

Honestly, you should try all of the above to find what works best for you(that's the best way to learn). Having said that, I would reach for a ribbon, on axis, at 2-3 feet away. If the room is reflective, then I might try the reflection gizmo, but I'm not married to that as some room ambience might be exactly what you need(but you can fake that with a good reverb plugin). In any case, I would have the player stand so they are not facing directly at a wall as that would reflect straight back to the mic(if you had no choice, then the reflection filter would definitely be used)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Cheers,

Some good advice there. The guy's just cancelled on me for this week so it's going on next week. It gives me a bit more time to suss it all out.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 AM

After more thought, don't forget you can feel free to hang all of those mics, track each to its own track, and keep all but 1 muted. Then you can compare afterwards. To make the comparison easier, drag each(name it for the mic choice) to a new playlist off any one of the tracks. Then you can easily solo each playlist to compare(like you would do if making a comp).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Hanging all those mics may be a little confusing for the talent. Kinda like what camera do i look into. What is the recording going to be used for? That would probably determine the kind of sound you want from the horn. The Ribbon may pick up too much air for allot of things especially if you want the muted trumpet to cut. If its just the solo horn that sweet smooth ribbon will prob be the ticket.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:01 PM

I tend to like dynamic mics for solo trumpet in most situations but classical, but a good ribbon will do the trick. anything a bit darker. give it 2-3 feet for the sound to develop a bit. solo trumpet stuff usually needs heaps of reverb to sit well, so don't be afraid to slather it on, either with your room or a plugin- whichever you reckon sounds best. but honestly, muted trumpet is hard to screw up.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Dynamic mic for jazz trumpet. I use an RE20. Big warm sound.
Holt Remembers - Meetings With The Remarkable

Windows 7x64 SP1, AMD Quad Core A8-3870 APU 3GHz, 8GB RAM, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6550D
Pro Tools 10.3.2, RME Fireface UC, MOTU 24 I/O, BLA Micro Clock Mk2, Soundcraft Ghost, DA-88 (3) Digital 24 Track TC
Outboard: Neve, API , Manley, Phoenix Audio, Teletronix, Drawmer, Universal Audio, Alan Smart , DBX, T.C. Electronics
Old 03-22-2012, 01:22 AM

Thanks guys!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 AM

horn players like to play off a reflective surface,
like wood or glass.
sort of a natural monitor.

take advantage of this and mic it to capture the organic sound that they have set up for you.

you didn't say what type of track this is,
and certainly for straight up pop you can use the 'ol mono trak
and synthetic reverb;

but try capturing the room tone
and then when you pan them off each other you'll achieve a wider sound,
not to mention a warmer tone.

or by stereo mic'ing the ambience, plus the focus mic,
will get you width, plus depth,
all adjustable, natch!

b.o.l.
e