Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2001, 12:42 AM

Default Upgrading our studio. Need some help!

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some info here. My church is doing a MAJOR studio upgrade.
We are currently running a Digi 001 on a PC. We are going to upgrade to a full TDM
system (probably the new MIX3). Well, I know we need to go to MAC with this new
system. The only problem is I have used PCs since I was 12 (I'm 22 now) and have
NEVER used a MAC. So I'm looking into finding a dealer that builds the whole system and everything that way I don't have to learn the ins and outs of a new computer system. Does anyone have any recommendations? I already know how to use Pro Tools I just want someone to put the best possible, most stable system together for me. Also, what would you all recommend, the Control 24 or the Pro Control? Has anyone here used both? They seem pretty cool. Thanks for any help!

-Tony
Old 07-03-2001, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Upgrading our studio. Need some help!

Hi Tony. just a thought, but as you're used to PCs it may not be that daunting to go over to mac, give it try if you can. A lot of people find macOS more intuitive. If you've got a mac studio you're probably going to have to learn sometime anyway. - It really won't be from scratch with your prior knowledge. Sorry if this hasn't answered your specifics but it'll bump it to the top anyway [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2001, 07:51 AM

I can echo this reply.

I switched from PC to Mac a couple of months ago, and chose a dealer (in the UK) that put everything in the box for me.

I'm glad I did this, but don't be scared. The Mac Os is just so much easier to use than Windows (and I still use Windows at work), since I've had it I completely re-installed the Mac OS - to see if I could do it. All worked fine including configuring OMS (which I have to say is rather cool) and took no time at all - OS install (including format 10minutes with one reboot at the end).

Don't be scared - but a helpful dealer is a nice crutch

Good luck

Pete
Old 07-03-2001, 06:19 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by davip:
I think you'd better learn the ins and outs of your new computer system!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I'm not sure about that, I mean not every one can deal with the guts (thats why we have docktors [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).
But I would say haveing gone Comodore > Atari > PC > MAC that you should have no real problems. The "guts" are much more streightforward than the PC guts. Realy the insides are pretty much "plug and Play" - to use a windows phrase - its the system that might take some tweeking and your going to have to do that sooner or later anyway. I would save the money and give it a shot on your own. You might find a user in your area as a fallback.
Old 07-04-2001, 12:06 AM

I think you'd better learn the ins and outs of your new computer system!
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 07-05-2001, 09:07 AM

Ditto to all of it.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:13 AM

Hey Tony. You'll like the Mac
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] . Everything that you need to know on putting together your system can be found in the compatibility pages on Digi's website. That being said there are a lot of options (hardware) that can be used and are indeed being used by many of the members of this forum that are not listed or supported by Digi. If after you look at the compatability pages you still feel uncomfortable putting together your system let me suggest Audio One Inc. Their Nashville number is 615-341-0056. Ask for Frank Conway. If you are closer to Florida than Tennessee then give the Florida office a buzz 561-638-0990. I have been very pleased with the service I've had out of the Nashville office. Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2001, 11:13 AM

I want to thank all of you who have replied to me on the board and through email! I have had many many replys and am sorting through them all. Thanks to this board I will be able to put an excellent system together! If you emailed me and I have not responded yet it is not because I'm ignoring you! I have just had many many answers! Thanks to all of you again. I think I may go for putting the computer together myself and buying the Mix3 from someone. It is probibly good to learn the computer system anyway just in case I need to fix something in the middle of a session. Thanks Again,

Tony [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2001, 08:14 AM

Everything about the mac is cool except that awful one button mouse. PC mice are just so much better. I know you can get 2 button mice for the mac, but they are pretty much incompatible with protools.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:37 AM

MAC G4 ARE THE BEST OPCION. DONT WORRY, MACS ARE EASY AND POWER MACHINES, MAKE THE WORK BEST AND EASY.