Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2002, 10:49 PM

Default question about LCD monitors

I'm shopping around for one and finding great deals in the $300 range for a 15". Some of these brands I'm not familiar (KDS, etc.) but anything would be better than what I have to deal with now.

My question is regarding the specs I see on the sites, things like 300:1 or 350:1 , not sure if a higher number is better? What are things to look for when buying an LCD for the first time?

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:35 AM

Default Re: question about LCD monitors

Hi PK,
"300:1 or 350:1" should be related to the TFTs contrast. 300 is already considered a good number. The higher the better ( I think it goes up to 500).

Other things I know of e.g. is the resolution. So 1280x1024 doesnīt mean just 25% more pixels than 1024x768 ( as one could be estimating ) but in reality means that it contains 66% more pixels.

If you are also thinking of moving pictures and wouldnīt like them to "smear" you might look after reaction time. Many TFT monitors have about 35 ms "rising&fade out time" which isnīt that good. You would be better with around 25-20 ms. I think the most expensive devices like from Eizo reach up to 15 ms or so, but that isnīt really necessary to achieve good results.

Another point of view: In tests it was found that monitors with thin frames tend to exert pressure on the display which then can cause irregular allocation of brightness. So better with broader frames even if it wonīt look that fashionable.

You might also consider the ability of connection. Many do have only analog inputs ( - HD15 connectors - for your graphic card.) But as digital delivery is supposed to make much better images you might want to get yourself a g-card with digital output later on ...
For that the LCD should provide a DVI input.

Maybe you also want to watch for the current consumption regarding active-off-modus. Some take over 30 Watts others just 3. In the Power-off-modus some still suck energy others donīt.

Another advantage can be if the base has some adjustment capabilties, as it can effect your physiognomy on the long run if the displays position isnīt in a suiting position. ( Donīt wanna end up like Quasimodo, do ya? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Finally it is a good thing if the AC/DC device is external and not build in. This way if it gets broken you can exchange it easily.

I hope that helps you a little bit.

Lalaman
Old 09-23-2002, 07:36 AM

Greets pk,

Great advice from Lalaman.

One small thing to add (that I have been told by my suppliers). A number of tft screens run best in their "native" mode. In the case of my Mitsubishi monitor, it's 1024x768. That's great and works well. If I want other resolutions apart from native (eg 800x600), the resolution is not quite as pleasant.

Best regards,

Haigbabe
Old 09-23-2002, 09:48 AM

thanks for all the good info, I'll be getting that KDS 15" later this week, woo-hoo! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 10:17 AM

Hey Pk

If you can afford a 17" do it.
They give more desktop space
and are easier on the eyes.
I have a Dell 1702fp and I have been
very happy with it. Costs me $600 when
Dell had the sale on them.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:21 AM

Hi pk,
Along with the good things, I want you to be aware of what I heard about LCD monitors, too. When I was shopping monitors back in April, someone mentioned to me that in a sunlit room (example), an LCD monitor can become hard to see, rather like a big-screen TV. Of course, that may be no problem in your environment.
And the other neg thing (sorry for any neg thoughts, but you should know all you can), is that I heard guitar pickup hum can be a problem around LCD monitors. One guy mentioned having to turn off the monitor while recording.

Now, I'de like nothing better for someone to tell us this is all a myth. But, that's what I heard, and I don't want you to become aware of this after you've bought it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I myself had around $300 to spend on a monitor, and I elected to go with a "19 Black Flat-faced Hitachi, rather than a "15 LCD.

All my best, Roy
Old 09-23-2002, 11:06 AM

You will never be happy with a 15"....I bought my 17"envision from Amazon for $500.00 after rebate last X-mas and am considering picking number 2. Very happy with it. Unshielded audio monitors sit close with no problems that you get with CRT's.

That's my .02...
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 11:52 AM

In case that you would think of spending more ( at the end it effects the eyes )...

This one should leave you without regretting I think. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
web page

Over here it costs even 250$ more. Maybe thatīs a little bit inspiring too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 12:46 AM

What Roy said about the noise
was true for me at first but I fixed the problem.
My 1702fp made a hum sound on my recording but after several days of head scratching I found that I had a bad external power supply (power adapter)for my monitor.
I replaced the power adapter and all my noise problems vanished. Have not had any trouble since. It's quiter than my crt monitor and I can bring my Fender Strat up close the screen without producing white noise. It's great.