Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2022, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Carbon expansion speculation

I’d like to know what Luke, Phil and others have for outlandishly unlikely ideas, that they think would attract the home/indie/production studio users who are open game for UA/APOGEE/AVID right now ?

What unlikely features do you think this market segment would really find attractive ?
Old 02-17-2022, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Carbon expansion speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeYoYoYO View Post
What unlikely features do you think this market segment would really find attractive ?
My top 3 carbon wish list items:

1. A way to extend, or a "pro" unit, with 16 analog i/o and double the DSP would be the right fit for medium sized semi-serious home studios. The 8 analog io (especially because they are coupled to the mic pre's) is just not enough for my outboard gear or to be serious about multi tracking a drum kit or small band as a stand alone unit. Adat is fine and can get you 24 channels @48k or 16 @96k, but Im still stuck without additional DSP for doing the thing you want to do with PT rigs, track with no latency and plugins. At the least, make it so you can use the 8 DB25 line channels and the 8 mic pre's independently of each other. That gets you to 16 in with 8 on board pre's and 8 external hardware pre's.

2. Software monitor control. please for the love of god give me a volume knob in the DAW. I don't have a rack on my desk, I am constantly reaching for the volume knobs for headphones, etc.... its just an exhausting exercise. Seems like a simple thing to do.

3. Put the headphone outs on the back. This is more of an ergonomics issue since they refuse to give software monitor volume control. Many people will have this either to the left or the right of their mix position with their daw controller, console, or keyboard/mouse/computer right smack in the middle. The monitor controller being on the right side of the unit means its most likely to be on your left to reduce the reach. Having the headphone jacks sticking out exactly where you are reaching for the monitor controller kind of sucks.

4. I know I said 3, but this one is just a marketing/product suggestion. If you shipped the carbon with a digilink HD port on the back that you could use either with an avid HD converter and the onboard DSP, or LATER use the carbon as your converter and UPGRADE to an HDX card. You might see a lot more HDX sales as upgrades. Would also overcome the issue of being dependent on mac computers indefinitely.

Again, all of the above is accomplished by just buying a matrx studio hdx system. So it is unlikely that this will every be real. (EXCEPT THE SOFTWARE MONITOR CONTROL, PLEASE GIVE ME THIS)