Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2008, 02:48 PM

Default Cheapest upgrade for 001 user?

I am currently running PT 6.4 with a Digi001 on Windows XP. I also have a PreSonus DigiMax LT connected to the 001 via ADAT. I would like to upgrade to PT 7.4 but 6.4 is the last supported version for the 001.

If I buy say, the Mbox Mini or Micro, can I then upgrade to PT 7.4 and still use my 001 and DigiMax with PT 7.4 aloong with the Mbox?

If not, is it possible to run a PT 7.4 with Mbox and PT 6.4 with 001 in the same machine (not simultaneously)?

You're probably wondering why. Basically, for tracking purposes, my 001 and DigiMax is still fine for my needs. Honestly, PT 6.4 is also fine for my needs BUT I would like to upgrade my Waves Gold bundle to the newest version and that requires PT 7.4. And really, I would only need the Waves plugins when I'm mixing and mastering. I guess I can have two machines (one to record and one to mix and master) but I don't have two machines I can dedicate for this.

The reason I want to upgrade the Waves Gold is so I can have WavesTune (pitch fix thing), IR-L (convolution reverb) and the Doubler. I can upgrade my Waves for $200 so I'm trying to find out my cheapest way to upgrade my PT. Otherwise, I'd just buy Melodyne (convolution reverb would've just been a bonus) and forego a PT upgrade.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:03 PM

you can use different interfaces on the same computer (not connected at the same time) but you cannot have 2 different versions of PT on the same computer.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:29 PM

You can run more than one hardware of Pro Tools E.G Mpowered and LE but you must have the same version numbers like both being 7.4 or 7.3 and you can only use one interface at a time I.E a 003 or a 1814 but not both at once.

You can however Dual Boot and run the 001 in one partition with 6.4cs9 and the newer Mbox in a different partition running 7.4. I beleive you need to " disable" or "uninstal" the 001 in the Windows hardware manager on the side running the Mbox and 7.4. I doubt the side running the 001 and 6.4 will even regognise the Mbox hardware.

If you do a search for posts by a forum member named "Keeron" you will find out all of the details.

Your aware the Mboxes have no optical ports so your not going to be able to use the Presonus with them correct?

Old Post

Another old post

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM

I have precisely that set-up on one machine here.

The 001 is not disabled in either boot option, it just doesn't show up in PT7, but is what PT6 sees.

You can use the 001 with other folks' hardware - Rail wrote a widget that allows that. I forget what it was called.

Also if you have any Digi hardware plugged in you can use the Digi Asio driver - which is rather good - with other software, like I do with Melodyne.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I'm aware the Mbox doesn't have ADAT, which is why I still need to use the 001 for tracking.

It sounds like either dual boot or two machines are my options. I'll do more research on dual booting though I'm not sure I have enough disk space on my system drive for that.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 PM

Copy your C: disk onto a bigger drive using HDClone (it's freeware). I've done that. The whole disk is copied and the rest of the new disk is left empty. The machine boots from the new disk.
Put that into drive 0 and boot up. (If for some reason it doesn't work, put your old disk back in - you've lost but a little time)
Create a new partition.
Boot from your XP install CD. Install new XP. Now you have two.

I swap back and forth from PT6 and 7 on diff boot options to take advantage of what the 001 and MBox each have to offer.

It occurs to me you might be able to install both on your existing partition by having two separate user accounts with different hardware profiles. Worth a try methinks.