Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 01:16 PM

Default D-show console a half mile from stage..... Yes really!

Audio vet's first post at DUC. Hello D-show fans.

Yup, I need to feed my foh rack from a half mile away for live band broadcasts. Sure, dig snake, aes i/o cards, fiber etc. But, how can I get that into the foh. Can I pass my control data through the fiber snake too? Anybody got any elegant ideas? Money is not an issue. Thanks ya'll.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Avid

Default Re: D-show console a half mile from stage..... Yes really!

Hi - and welcome!

One option would be to use remote-controlled mic pres, such as the Aphex 1788, then go AES into an AES<>fiber box such as Light Viper. Use the fiber for the long haul and leave the Stage Rack (loaded w/ AES input cards) in close proximity to the FOH Rack, within the max 500' coax snake distance.

The initial analog gain settings for the mic pres will need to be dialed in using a separate laptop running Aphex's software, but you'll still have -20 to +18 dB of digital trim available on the console to work with.

Sound like an interesting project - stop by and let us know what you decide to go with.

Sheldon
Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 PM

I can vouch for the interface between the Aphex 1788's and Venue, We are using that at church now and it works great. We feed the mics into the 1788 and come out of the ADAT digital into the Digital Input Cards. Sheldon's solution would be better in your case but wanted to give a thumbs up to the 1788's and Venue combination

Scott
Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 PM

Brilliant. Thanx Sheldon, the aphex box will do the trick. Thanks for the ditto Scott. More on this later......
Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 AM

Could you locate the venue at the, well, "venue", and VPN via internet connection to control it?
the audio monitor mix could go thousands of feet if you put a nice transformer (jensen) on it.
Use a "remote desktop" or "pc-anywhere" approach, leaving the bulk of the gear at the recording site.
My 2 cents...
tom Petroski