Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2000, 02:23 PM

Default How do you keep a mono/stereo plug-in mono?

I'm trying to create a mono reverb on a mono aux but when the plug-in list says (mono/stereo) it means it will make it stereo no matter what.

I am in stereo outs mode (and want to be...)

How can this be done?
Old 12-27-2000, 10:22 PM

Default Re: How do you keep a mono/stereo plug-in mono?

Well, Baixo, it's like this...there's nothing you can do about the nature of the plug itself. If you use a mon/stereo plug as a channel insert (or aux insert...) it will create a stereo track.

Thus, simply pan the two sides of said track together to create mono...and if you've got panning automation on the track you can copy it from one side to the other to keep them together. I've used this workaround and it's just fine.

------------------
Eric Bazilian/The Mousetrap
"Music Is Good"
Old 12-29-2000, 09:26 AM

I'm still trying to figure out the question.

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 12-29-2000, 11:06 AM

Sorry, ANG,

What I mean is I just want to have a genuinely mono reverb on a mono aux track without having to use the DSP for a stereo plug-in and/or "make" it mono by center-panning the stereo aux.

I wanna create a mono aux, and then using a reverb that says ("mono/stereo") in the plug-in menu, choose for it to be mono. What, pray, is a "mono/stereo" plug-in, if you can't ever make it mono?

I suppose I'll have to do the panning thing, but it seems stupid to have a structure by which you can make a plug-in mono/stereo and not have a way to keep it mono. The only reverb I know of that is really mono is the Realverb. Perhaps the D-Verb has a mono-only version, but, well, you know...
Old 01-02-2001, 09:36 AM

"What, pray, is a "mono/stereo" plug-in, if you can't ever make it mono?"

It's a plug with a mono input and stereo output. If you want mono output, you either need to pan it mono or use a different plugin that is mono/mono (which isn't available for most reverbs).

Mike
Old 01-02-2001, 10:25 AM

Baixo, what reverb are you trying to use? If it's the DVerb, just plug it into a Mono Aux, and select DVerb (mono) from the plugin list.

Cheers.

Juergen