Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2001, 10:00 PM

Default Importing SMF from Logic to PT

After a lot of searching on DOC, I am unable to find a solution to my current problem.

I am trying to port some Logic sequences over to PT. So I export regions to MIDI file in Logic and import the file into PT. THe file plays back fine, however what was about 16 tracks in Logic shows up as aout 60 or 70 MIDI tracks in PT. Its like each track is seperated into another track every 4 bars. SO what was one track in Logic, is now spread over like 10 tracks or so in PT (all assigned to same MIDI channel.

I am not sure if this is a problem in PT, or the way Logic is writing the file. There don't seem to be any parameters within Logic that I can find as far as saving MIDI files (only export regions as midi, with no options). I do suspect the problem is on the Logic side, but am hoping maybe others here do this type of thing often and may have some advice.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-28-2001, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Importing SMF from Logic to PT

I've imported a lot of different SMFs into PT from quite a few different manufacturers (but not from Logic), with no problems except that the SMF formats don't support multiple midi outputs (only 16 midi channels), so I have notate which midi output/instrument was originally assigned to the track and re-assign it once imported.

Maybe Logic is exporting each region as a separate track? Can you consolidate (or glue together or whatever the Logic nomenclature is) all the regions/objects in a track and try it again?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:03 PM

well, a lot of the tracks are repeated sections (looped) so what you are saying makes a ton of sense. Perhaps if I glue them all together this will solve the problem. It's almost too easy to be true. Thanks for the tip, I will try it tomorrow morning and post my results for those searching in the future.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:55 AM

An update on this problem for those interested.

The problem of the sequences being put into many tracks is a part of the SMF format. It does not recognized non-continuous midid tracks and converts each segment into seperate tracks. It also doesnt recognize quantizing and things like that, so they must be written permenantly into the midi tracks.

Format 0 is one MIDI track
Format 1 is multiple MIDI tracks.