Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 12:59 PM

Default ProTools Prob: ASUS Motherboard Model: A8V Deluxe

Hey all, this is my first post on here and I wish it were "good news." At any rate... I recently built a new PC to make my ProTools experience even better than it was before and I ran into problems... UGH....

ASUS Motherboard... A8V deluxe...
AMD 64 bit Processor 3000K Socket 939
1 GIG Dual Channel DDR Memory 400 Mhz 3200....

Got a fresh install of Windows XP running... and then tragedy struck.... Upon getting my MBox all up and running, I encountered a serious problem...

XP detected it... (the MBox)...
It let me load the software...
Let reboot...
and when I came back to double click the ProTools Icon...

I encountered the following error message:

The application or dll C:\ProgramFiles\Digidesign\Protools\Pacelui.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette..

The machine then shut itself down and rebooted itself... more than likely in extreme pain...

I called digidesign support, they were great. But apparently there are some compatibility issues with ProTools and these new AMD 64 bit 939 Socket Processors.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to combat this problem, please let me know. In the interim I will be starting over again with reformatting the hard drive, putting a fresh install of XP Pro and doing what Tech Support told me to do this afternoon... Which was install service pack 1 and this...

DEP (Data Execution Prevention)

Right-click "My Computer".
Select "Properties".
Select the "Advanced" tab.
Click the "Settings" button in the "Startup and Recovery" category.
Under the "System startup" category, click on the "Edit" button.
Change NoExecute=Optin or Optout to NoExecute=AlwaysOff

as well as installing the 6.4cs 9 patch for ProTools LE...

Cover me, I'm goin in ...
Old 01-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: ProTools Prob: ASUS Motherboard Model: A8V Deluxe

Don't worry about SP1 - just do the DEP fix "NoExecute=AlwaysOff" - install 6.4cs9 and 6.4cs6 which I think has some plugin fixes - should do the trick

Cheers, Scott
Old 01-11-2005, 07:36 PM

Thanks for your help with regards to my ProTools issues. Loaded said patches as well as re-wrote the line in the boot.ini... Worked out. Program loaded. Only problem is sometimes when I shut down, I have to shut the power supply off and restart it again. Because the machine just dies when I shut it down. If it's just a matter of shutting the power supply on and off, I can live with it. But I would like to know what is causing that...Have you encountered that while using the system...

There were still a series of problems with serious errors eminating from Windows XP which leads me to believe that installation of service pack 2 and all the other activity may have corrupted the OS. That being a possilbity, I am reformatting and starting over. This will ensure me that I will have clean operating system to work with from the ground up.

Have you ever noticed when you changed that command that your computer needed its power supply turned off and back on in order for the machine to start up again? NOTE, this was even happening when I chose the "RESTART" option.

I was, however still getting the PACE UI dll message when starting ProTools. Is there a place to get PACE updates to fix this problem. Again, thank you so much for all your help and if there is anything I can do to help you out in the future, please let me know... I see you also have the ASUS board that I have... that 939 is kick ass, ain't it?

Cheers from the states,
Scott Arena a.k.a. ProductionGUY
Old 01-11-2005, 07:50 PM

pace drivers here